Topic category: Advanced modding
Hey guys! I'm M4ttix!
Today I will show you how to create custom textures for your mods.
I know MCreator provides a "Custom Texture Maker" in their program, but it doesn't have many useful tools that can be used to make your texture look better.
So I'm writing this to help people use GIMP, which is very easy to use.
Download it: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
(This is the first part of a big tutorial I will make for everyone, in the next one I will show you how to create Animated Textures).
What is GIMP?
- GIMP is a cross-platform image editor available for many operating systems, it's free to download and you can do many things with it.
- The version i recommend is the latest one (2.10.0).
What do you need to start creating textures?
- Well, there's only one big thing you need to start... "IMAGINATION", if you don't have that it's impossible to create decent looking textures.
- And maybe some snacks and some water to let you to remain calm and concentrated...
How do I use tools present in GIMP?
- When you will first open GIMP, it may look difficult to use tools, but listen to me, it is very easy to use them!
- The tools you may need to start creating textures are: the Pencil, the Eraser, the Bucket Fill tool, the Move tool and the Fuzzy Select tool.
How to start making a texture
- First you need to click on the "File" button up on the left, and then it will open you a bunch of options. The one you need to click is the "New.." button which can make appear on your screen a window with this informations..
- So as you can see it shows you many features, the one that we will use to start, are the Width, Height and the Advanced Options.
- In Minecraft, textures need to have a 16x Width-Height (the multiples of 16, like 16, 32, 64 etc.).
- Now copy my "infos" as template below so we can start. (for the tutorial I will create a 16x texture).
- Then once you have pressed "OK" a square will appear and it will look something like this:
- The first thing you need to do now is to zoom in into the "square" (CTRL + Swipe up the mouse wheel).
Pencil, Eraser & Bucket Fill Tool
- The Pencil and the Eraser are the most easiest tool present in GIMP, you just "select" the zone you want to color/erase.
- You can change the size but for Minecraft textures I recommend to use "1.00".
- The Bucket Fill Tool it's used to color empty/selected places on images, very easy to use.
Hope this helps you with textures, in the next tutorial I will show you how to make animated textures.