New user points algorithm plans (feedback needed)

Started by Klemen on Sat, 01/25/2020 - 12:44

Topic category: General discussion

Last seen on 19:38, 23. Feb 2020
Joined Apr 2010
User points:

User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Mods of the week:
  • Forum topics:
  • Comments:
  • Wiki pages:
  • Tracker tickets:
  • Invalid tickets:
New user points algorithm plans (feedback needed)
Sat, 01/25/2020 - 18:57 (edited)

We are considering changing the user points algorithm as part of the next website update. We are considering adding the following changes:

1. Reduce the worth of comments a bit
  2. Increase the worth of modification page and wiki page
  3. Add points based on the account age
  4. Add points based on the roles a user has (wiki contributor, moderator, donator?)
  5. Deduct some points for each duplicate ticket open
  6. MOTW points

We are open to your feedback on the changes so we can build a fair rating for the user's contributions to the community and the trustworthiness of the user accounts.

Edited by Klemen on Sat, 01/25/2020 - 18:57
1Upvote this forum topic
Last seen on 00:33, 24. Feb 2020
Joined Dec 2018
User points:

User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Mods of the week:
  • Forum topics:
  • Comments:
  • Wiki pages:
  • Tracker tickets:
  • Invalid tickets:
Agreed!
Sat, 01/25/2020 - 19:05

Agreed!

1Upvote this forum topic
Last seen on 00:37, 24. Feb 2020
Joined Aug 2016
User points:

User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Mods of the week:
  • Forum topics:
  • Comments:
  • Wiki pages:
  • Tracker tickets:
  • Invalid tickets:
First, I think it’s a really…
Sat, 01/25/2020 - 20:17

First, I think it’s a really good idea to change the user points algorithm because, in my opinion, it’s too easy to get points. Currently, you have only to write "nice mod" and always create a new forum topic or ticket to ask a new feature (already asked or planned). So I suggest you some ideas to change the algorithm. 

First of all, each time you write a comment, you will not have a user point. You could try to create a system to give a number of user points on the length of the comment. For example, if I write a comment little than 1 line, you will receive 0 user points. If your comment is between 1 and 2, you will receive 1 user points. Between 3 and 5 lines, 2 user points, 5 and 10 lines = 4 user points, etc. (You can change the number of user points by line evidently).

Secondly, I think that Modifications can always give you user points, but it will not be the same number for an “ore(s)” mod than a big mod like RaolCraft Omega, BYG, Farm Adventure, etc. Moderators (or a new role) could give manually user points for each modification (with a list of mod “types”). I know that is really subjective, but with a list, it could help. Also, as you have said, mods have won a MOTW will receive a number of points, but if the same mod wins a second time, it will give the same number points multiplied per 2. A third time, another 10 user points (for example) multiplied per 3, etc. I think that you should also reward people who make a mod with many MOTW because that means they are great mods.

For badge user points, I think Moderators should get fewer points than normal users or wiki contributor users because it’s their main job to moderate the website (and also because I think almost 12k user points it’s really too much. xD). For Wiki Contributor users, I think they could get more points at the creation of a new Wiki page, and get a few user points when they modify an existing page. Finally, we could get a number of user points each time we donate because we help you and the software development. If we donate annually, we could get more points, and monthly still more points.

Another idea could be a system to give more points if a user is active, and if he is, he has more points than a user who isn’t active. When I say “activate", I mean he speaks on the forum, tracker and posts updates or new modifications on the website. You could also give some points for a daily connection or each day a user is connected.

Finally, I think you could also add a system to give user points each time a user has reported a real bug (based on the priority of the bug (major, minor, normal)), like to thanks him to have reported the bug. Also, you could also make the thing for features with fewer points (or based on the feature).

I am sorry for the length of my comment, but I tried to be concise.

Hoping to have help

0Upvote this forum topic
Last seen on 21:07, 20. Feb 2020
Joined Apr 2015
User points:

User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Mods of the week:
  • Forum topics:
  • Comments:
  • Wiki pages:
  • Tracker tickets:
  • Invalid tickets:
I agree with the improvements
Sat, 01/25/2020 - 20:18

I agree with the improvements

0Upvote this forum topic
Joined Apr 2010
User points:

User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Mods of the week:
  • Forum topics:
  • Comments:
  • Wiki pages:
  • Tracker tickets:
  • Invalid tickets:
Secondly, I think that…
Sat, 01/25/2020 - 20:21

Secondly, I think that Modifications can always give you user points, but it will not be the same number for an “ore(s)” mod than a big mod like RaolCraft Omega, BYG, Farm Adventure, etc. Moderators (or a new role) could give manually user points for each modification (with a list of mod “types”). I know that is really subjective, but with a list, it could help.

That is a nice idea but we can't really spend that much time just rating the mods hehe :D

Wiki contributor can get points with posting wiki pages, but moderators work can not be tracked other than giving points when a moderator is, well, moderator by role, so I think giving as many points for moderator as for wiki contributor would be fair.

We are removing roles from inactive moderators so having more points while one is actively moderating sound fair.

0Upvote this forum topic
Joined Apr 2010
User points:

User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Mods of the week:
  • Forum topics:
  • Comments:
  • Wiki pages:
  • Tracker tickets:
  • Invalid tickets:
If your comment is between 1…
Sat, 01/25/2020 - 20:37

If your comment is between 1 and 2, you will receive 1 user points. Between 3 and 5 lines, 2 user points, 5 and 10 lines = 4 user points, etc. (You can change the number of user points by line evidently).

This is a nice idea too, but checking the comment length of all users to calculate user points would kill our servers XD

We need to use calculations that are simple and accessible from already aggregated data to not overload our already very busy website server :D

0Upvote this forum topic
Last seen on 00:37, 24. Feb 2020
Joined Aug 2016
User points:

User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Mods of the week:
  • Forum topics:
  • Comments:
  • Wiki pages:
  • Tracker tickets:
  • Invalid tickets:
If your comment is between 1…
Sat, 01/25/2020 - 20:29

If your comment is between 1 and 2, you will receive 1 user points. Between 3 and 5 lines, 2 user points, 5 and 10 lines = 4 user points, etc. (You can change the number of user points by line evidently).

This is a nice idea, but checking the comment length of all users to calculate user points would kill our servers XD

We need to use calculations that are simple and accessible from already aggregated data to not overload our already very busy website server :D

I forgot there is a lot of comments published. XD

0Upvote this forum topic
Last seen on 01:06, 24. Feb 2020
Joined Jun 2019
User points:

User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Mods of the week:
  • Forum topics:
  • Comments:
  • Wiki pages:
  • Tracker tickets:
  • Invalid tickets:
I think that user points…
Sat, 02/08/2020 - 01:01

I think that user points shouldn't be changed. I mean, they don't have any actual use except for you to feel good about yourself. And the user points can already reflect how active a user is on the website.

0Upvote this forum topic
Joined Apr 2010
User points:

User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Mods of the week:
  • Forum topics:
  • Comments:
  • Wiki pages:
  • Tracker tickets:
  • Invalid tickets:
They do reflect user…
Sat, 02/08/2020 - 11:04

They do reflect user activity, but they do not represent how much user contributes that well at this point.

0Upvote this forum topic
Last seen on 01:06, 24. Feb 2020
Joined Jun 2019
User points:

User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Mods of the week:
  • Forum topics:
  • Comments:
  • Wiki pages:
  • Tracker tickets:
  • Invalid tickets:
https://mcreator.net/forum…
Sat, 02/08/2020 - 11:10

https://mcreator.net/forum/52477/website-improvements

I looked at 6 months back me and I just realized how terrible my English was back then.

Anyways, you could consider the ideas there if you want to change the use points

0Upvote this forum topic
Joined Apr 2010
User points:

User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Mods of the week:
  • Forum topics:
  • Comments:
  • Wiki pages:
  • Tracker tickets:
  • Invalid tickets:
Our new formula for points…
Sun, 02/23/2020 - 12:43

Our planned formula for user points at the moment is:

points = nofcomments*0.5 + nofforumtopics*5 + nofmodifications*10 + nofwikipages*20 + nofmotws*50 - invalidissuecount*30 + accountageindays^(1/1.5)*0.5

where nof____ is number of ____

Currently active formula is explained here: https://mcreator.net/wiki/user-points-system

If there are any recommendations for changes on it, feedback is welcome before we implement it.

0Upvote this forum topic