Using a custom model from another non-MC mod

Started by SinedF on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 12:53, 8. Jan 2024
Joined Dec 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Using a custom model from another non-MC mod

And so, I need to transfer some blocks from another non-MC mod as decoration. You can easily get textures from the assets of the unpacked file, but I can’t understand if there is a way to do something with blocks using non-standard models. Is this something that requires the original mod's source code? And if not, how can I import the models used by the mod? 
I apologize if the question already has an answer or is stupid, but I couldn't find any answer.

Last seen on 20:37, 26. Jul 2024
Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
If you're able to decompile…
Fri, 12/29/2023 - 14:03

If you're able to decompile the mod with some sort of jar program, or you have access to the workspace, you can go to the src and then go to resources to find the original model files. If you don't, (I'm assuming this isn't your mod?) the only way is if the original creator gives you access to a decompiled workspace or just the model files themselves. (And you shouldn't be decompiling and taking assets that aren't yours anyways.) Some modders post github repositories that usually contain all their assets, (same location, src file, resources, models), though again, don't take anything without credit and creator permission, most sites will take down something if it's plagarising another creator's mod.

If you just want to change textures or something, you only need a resource pack, and you could use a github repository just to get the file names and file structure so you could override them. If you want to make a new entity using the original model however, you (should) ask the creator to give you access.