How to create a ocean/underwater biome

Started by MaybeMaru on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 15:41, 26. Jul 2024
Joined Jul 2024
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How to create a ocean/underwater biome

For my mod im trying to create a deep sea ocean biome that should only spawn in the middle of huge deep oceans.
I've been looking around but it seems like the height variable id need for this is gone, how could i replicate it with new MCreator versions?
Already tried with some continental settings and all that but it just makes a sand plains biome next to the ocean, kinda like a beach, not what i want.

Last seen on 07:59, 7. Sep 2024
Joined May 2024
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
What continentalness value…
Thu, 07/25/2024 - 10:37

What continentalness value did you try?

-1.2 to -1.05 should generate your biome similarly to the mushroom fields

Joined Jul 2024
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Ok so using your values it…
Thu, 07/25/2024 - 15:31

Ok so using your values it does make it spawn only around the ocean but it generates it as an island.
Is there some way to make it all happen below sea level? At sea floor level would be perfect.

Last seen on 19:55, 25. Jul 2024
Joined Dec 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
You need to understand how…
Thu, 07/25/2024 - 19:45
  1. You need to understand how biome continentalness works and what biomes use what
    1. Ocean biomes use -0.455 to -0.19 and Deep Ocean biomes use -1.05 to -0.455, -1.2 to -1.05 is mushroom fields and will always generate as an island.
    2. You need to understand that your biome, if generated properly, will generate only as deep as the deep ocean biome as it is not possible without directly influencing minecrafts world generation and biome generation to cater to your needs which I don't recommend unless you have advanced skill sets in json, java, and you know what perlin noise is.
    3. If you are OKAY with this fact, then proceed.
  2. Biomes fight over a spot in the overworld if they share similar value, the biome with the bigger range values will almost always overtake the biome with the lower range of values so in order to do an Ocean Biome that only generated in Deep Oceans, you'll have to accept the size of your biome may not be to your liking.
  3. Set your Biome Temperature to generate the biome connected to your preferred deep ocean biome.
  4. Set your Humidity to -1 to 1
  5. Continentalness needs to be -1.05 to -0.6 to ensure it only generates within deep ocean biomes (this will make your biome smaller)
  6. Erosion is not hugely important with ocean biomes, however, I always set my ocean biome erosion high. If you want to increase your odds of your biome spawning, increase the range between min and max values
  7. Weirdness: set this to -1 to 1, it wont do anything aside from reduce the size or chance of your biome generating with lower ranges.
  8. Test your biome.
  9. Notes:
    1. Yes your biome will be smaller than the typical ocean biome, nothing you can do with your preferences
    2. There is still a chance it will attach to normal ocean biomes, however, it will never contact land
Joined Jul 2024
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Ah i see, although some more…
Fri, 07/26/2024 - 15:06

Ah i see, although some more generation customization would be much nicer for what i had in mind it does the job for now.
Thank you so much!