How to make a normal flint and steel light a custom portal.

Started by eagle_skull14 on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 23:10, 5. Sep 2024
Joined Sep 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How to make a normal flint and steel light a custom portal.

I have a custom dimension with a custom frame and everything, but the only way to light it is with a custom item. I do not want that, I would like it to use the normal flint and steel. This is not a duplicate of any current topics, as none of them help / fix what is happening. I tried to use a "place portal for dimension..." block but it doesn't work. It just lights the block on fire. I want it to ignite a portal if it is made out of the right materials and is the correct shape (like a nether portal). I have tried block coding, java coding, and I cannot figure it out. Please help, I am going crazy trying to get this to work. Thanks!

Last seen on 16:04, 16. Sep 2024
Joined Jul 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
You could check out the…
Tue, 09/10/2024 - 00:12

You could check out the default nether portal code or make a custom igniter and edit the code and change the item to minecraft:flint_and_steel but idk if that would work. The procedure method would be to make a trigger on portal block right clicked, if item in main hand of event target entity = flint and steel, do damage to flint and steel and spawn. For the shape, if its the same as a nether portal, then only the bottom inner 2 blocks will be lit. Therefore when a (portal block) has been right clicked with flint and steel, check for (portal block) at y+1, x+1, x+2,  etc for every block coordinate. You would probably need to do 4 for each orientation (eg x positive, x negative, z positive, z negative) the portal could be in but realistically its much easier to make a custom igniter. You could also make a duplicate custom flint and steel that replaces the default flint and steel when right clicking the portal block. But that would mean you would need to right click the portal block twice.