User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How to convert Techne models to .json/others
Thu, 12/24/2020 - 09:53 (edited)

.TCN to .JSON TUTORIAL by ArcaneMortis [[Kann in deutscher Sprache abgefasst sein.]]

Hey Guys! In this simple tutorial I'm going to show you how to convert your Techne models into a .json! If you're like me, you used to use Techne ( I like being able to make multiple rotations per axes for my models!) but mCreator for minecraft 1.10.2 no longer supports .tcn file formats when creating blocks! So I had to figure out a simple way to continue using Techne and be able to import my model into newer programs like Blender or Mr Crayfish Model Maker for UVmapping.

Again, my big reason for doing this is that I like being able to rotate a block in multiple directions, and Techne is far easier to use than Blender in my opinion.

First, save your model in Techne as a .tcn like you usually would. Here I've got a lil' cauldron and burner I want to port from minecraft 1.7.10 to minecraft 1.10.2

Then, you'll want to snag you a copy of TCN2OBJ (or TBL2OBJ if you're using Tabula) by the great Alexthe666 and follow the simple instructions that come with the tool.

After you have converted your .tcn/.tbl to an .obj, you can use an online model conversion tool to reformat your .obj into a .json, like the one I've used here!

Still pretty simple right? Go ahead and click "Add File", then browse to where you stored your .obj, like mine right hurr

Select your model and hit the "next button", after which you'll be asked what format to export your file too. For this tutorial its going to be .json, but the website I use exports to multiple formats for various needs.

After selecting ".json", your file will upload and ask to begin. Your file will then convert, and be made availabe for download!

(Never trust ANY online file-upload-and-conversion site unless it is a trusted and authorized site! But be aware that many antivirus programs will flag downloads from such sites as unsafe due to the file extension, and you will have to manually bypass them. Use common sense!) 

Now you have a .json copy of your Techne models! Use Techne to model your crazy angles and rotations without the hastle of Blender, then do UVmapping in whatever!

[[If there is an easier method than this, please let me know and I will edit this post]]

Edited by Klemen on Thu, 12/24/2020 - 09:53
Last seen on 22:00, 11. Nov 2019
Joined Aug 2015
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
No :/
Thu, 10/06/2016 - 15:34

No :/

Last seen on 22:52, 27. Oct 2017
Joined Nov 2016
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I have been able to create
Tue, 11/22/2016 - 08:45

I have been able to create models but how do you map it after it does not load the mapping even tho the model will load, could do with hand on that part, also big problems with techne if the item is bigger then block you able to wake throw it even if you change the hit box and sometimes the model does not fit in the block it was created it it is over for for blocks rather senter to the one block.

Last seen on 19:56, 11. Aug 2019
Joined Aug 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
RE:I have been able to create
Sat, 08/19/2017 - 09:47

@#9 For block models Techne is not the easiest way to do it.

I use opl's model creator, from there you can just export it directly to .json format. Sometimes the json isn't correct, but it's easy to fix.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-tool…

Last seen on 22:52, 27. Oct 2017
Joined Nov 2016
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Since this last post I
Wed, 10/18/2017 - 12:57

Since this last post I already moved to mrcrayfishs model maker, it's a much more stable tool and never had a problem with out putting the json file :)

https://mrcrayfish.com/tools.php?id=mc

Last seen on 00:36, 3. Mar 2020
Joined Sep 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Thank you!!! This is so…
Sun, 04/29/2018 - 02:24

Thank you!!!

This is so helpful; I have been trying to figure out how to do this for a while!

Last seen on 13:58, 27. Sep 2018
Joined Jun 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
is there a way to do this…
Wed, 09/26/2018 - 16:40

is there a way to do this the other way round ?

ive made a model in google blocks and im trying to use it for a moddel in my mod with no luck

Last seen on 18:25, 31. Aug 2023
Joined Jun 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
it doesn't work for me , it…
Mon, 08/17/2020 - 17:00

it doesn't work for me , it alway's says that a problem has occured , even when a do it all over again , it continue to say to me that there is an issue with the converting , i don't know why so if somebody know , please tell

Last seen on 21:01, 7. Aug 2023
Joined May 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
in blockbench i believe…
Mon, 01/04/2021 - 17:57

in blockbench i believe there is a plugin that allows techne files to be converted