• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Make Block Model Textures Bound Locally, Not Universally
Thu, 11/05/2020 - 23:35 (edited)

The Problem

Now I am completely unaware if this is at all possible, but the current method of texturing custom block models (.json for example) involves binding textures to a model before applying it to a block. This is fine for most blocks of which there is one variant, but if you would like to use the same model for multiple kinds of blocks, an issue arises. You would need to duplicate the block model and reapply it with all new textures, which can get cluttered if you want 5+variants of the model.

The Solution

Update the block creation screen so that when a custom block model is applied, the traditional texture slots are replaced with slots for each texture assigned to a block or face on the model (alongside a separate slot for the texture to make breaking particles out of which is currently all the space is used for). This would be so helpful for people using custom models to make variants of a block in a different shape, as it would clutter the resources screen much much less since one model is used for all variants. 

TL;DR: Bind textures locally to the block based on the model applied, not the model universally.

Final Note

Once again, I have no idea if this is a possible addition to mcreator, but it seems doable to me and it would be an incredible final addition before development goes under (I'm not a programmer though, so I could be 100% incorrect here). If this is already a ticket on the forum, then sorry for the duplicate message. I searched with as many key terms as I could think of and couldn't find any ticket so... here it is!

Edited by ChainmailPickaxe on Thu, 11/05/2020 - 23:35
You can define multiple…
Sat, 11/07/2020 - 08:54

You can define multiple texture variants inside models window for this exact reason ;)