Joined Jan 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Select to use Minecraft Textures instead of uploading textures

Basically, this will allow a mod to easily use textures from Minecraft and have it where if a user is using a resourcepack it will use the resourcepack's textures without the maker of the pack to add in for the mod. 

I have made a few mods that call onto Minecraft's textures. I have been doing this by editing the code and using a filler image so I can actually create the block/item/entities/etc. 
as an example, I am using dirt, although I think most people would use something else:
I only changed the modid:blocks/texture to minecraft:block/dirt

If we had the ability to select Minecraft textures not only would it make me not have to lock several of my blocks/items/entities/etc and then have the textures overridden when I actually need to change something in the element settings or when I change MC versions (I have to have them unlocked so the code can remake itself for the new version, I just always re-edit the texture area after I change MC versions) In my current project I am making have a lot of custom blocks that use minecraft's textures.

I suggest to have it as a button in the texture selection area, I made a graphic showing what I'm talking about:
This just added a button at top that imports textures from minecraft

The button would import textures from Minecraft to use. It doesn't actually install the textures to the resources, but instead uses the Minecraft texture id to add the texture to the mod.
I also could see this being used for plugin makers to allow them to be able to use import from other mods that their plugin adds compatibility for.

I'm still looking through the github to see how easy this would be able to add or if it is possible to add this through a plugin. I'm currently not familiar enough with how MCreator is made to make a plugin or make a pull request via GitHub for it. I hope it isn't that hard to add though.

Anyways thank you for making an amazing tool, saves a ton of time coding!

Last seen on 00:06, 9. Oct 2023
Joined Dec 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
This would be essential!
Wed, 03/10/2021 - 20:53

This would be essential!

Last seen on 21:45, 9. Mar 2024
Joined Nov 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I saw this code and thought…
Thu, 03/17/2022 - 21:40

I saw this code and thought the same thing. I'm sure implementing this would be easy right? Either way thanks for proving this works!

Last seen on 14:48, 11. Jul 2023
Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
MCreator can't do this as…
Mon, 06/06/2022 - 21:10

MCreator can't do this as Mojang dont allow use of their textures outside of the game (mods and other stuff count as part of the game that is why it is allowed to re-use textures in mods), although MCreater makes mods, it isn't considered as part of the game hence the minecraft textures arent allowed in MCreator, BlockBench and other softwares.

My suggestion would be to go to go to %appdata%/Roaming/.minecraft/versions and open the version folder you need and copy paste the .jar file somewhere else (changing it here is not a good idea as you will lose that instalation) and change the .jar ending to .zip. from here you can open it and edit textures which you can then import into MCreator. :)

Hope that explains stuff.