Joined Mar 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Possibility of Using MCreator for a Visual Novel Mod

Hey guys!! I'm trying to make a mod sort of similar to the classic Mob Talker mod, what with a visual novel type pop-up screen that gives you choices/pathways and such, like a normal visual novel. I know there are a lot of mods that have pop-up screens such as Minecolonies and I could possibly use similar coding that the villagers use when you attempt to trade with them. Currently, I'm trying to figure out if this sort of mod would be better suited to being coded with or without MCreator. Currently from what I'm seeing about MCreator, it seems more attuned to mods that add new biomes, mobs, etc, rather than the stuff that I want to focus on my mod.

So, what's your opinion? What are the pros and cons of trying to use MCreator for a visual novel type mod?

Last seen on 02:45, 16. Nov 2023
Joined Dec 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I know I am a year+ late…
Sat, 08/20/2022 - 18:04

I know I am a year+ late. But I have also been messing around with this concept for a while using the program.

What mods like this should feature [In my opinion]

• A well planned layout
  • A theme
  • Buttons that go to new GUI pages
  • Custom fonts/visual images

All you have to do is make your default GUI. This will be the main window that greets the player when opened. It should have buttons that are assigned to other GUI pages. For example: with my mod, Little Delicacies; I made a GUI that looks similar to any kind of visual novel layout, I added a "shop" and "chat button" but you can add whatever you want. Be sure that under GUI properties, under GUI type have it be selected to "GUI without slots". You also have to remember that you need to add working buttons with procedures that can link the button to a desired NEW GUI page.

Opening Visual Novel Page

The next thing to keep in mind is setting up procedures for a store [if you want the npc to sell items]. You can use this latest tutorial for trader NPC's here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjIcz6oIcfY&t=360s
That link is the most up-to-date tutorial out there so far. I tested it and it works for me at least. Code for procedures are in the link of the description that can be imported into a procedure space. The best part is, you can assign any item to be the "currency" used to buy items~

Store GUI [Seprated]

'So, what's your opinion? What are the pros and cons of trying to use MCreator for a visual novel type mod?'

For me it's a little tedious to put together so far. There are still, many limitations on custom mobs with custom animations, as well as limits on GUI customization and placement. One of my current struggles is literally just moving a GUI container down to the bottom of the screen but due to limitations, I cannot do that so far. My other challenge is figuring out the pathway set up to make a chatting feature that does not repeat itself. I heard that mob talker used code from a visual novel making engine to make their mod! I would highly suggest researching how visual novels are set up as well as brushing up on Mcreators current features (as well as its limitations) and figuring out what to do from there.Custom NPC trading is possible at least and with some love and care with placement and design it can look "professional". Nothing is impossible!

I wish you luck!! - Nurse

Last seen on 02:45, 16. Nov 2023
Joined Dec 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
So I did some more research…
Wed, 08/24/2022 - 21:05

So I did some more research on this topic. I found two options for setting up something similar to MobTalkerMob. One is the method I posted above, and having to manually make GUI's and other stuff. Here is another possible option/theory-

In my first post I mentioned this:

"I heard that mob talker used code from a visual novel-making engine to make their mod!"

Today I visited MobTalkerMob2's website and saw this:
"The scripting code is constantly under revisions and improvements, but as of right now, greatly resembles and is based of the coding language Lua, and the visual novel engine Ren'Py."

I wonder if its possible to set up similar code if you wanted to make the visual novel in your mod cleaner and have more options for text animation and fonts and more! This obviously will take more time and knowledge of some coding, but I think it's possible to re-create. Your best bet would be to stick with the top post or use Ren'Py. I even looked through MobTalkers mod folder to see how it's set up, very interesting but sadly a little too advanced for me to understand 100%