How to remove dirt from below custom trees

Started by Deathlocke on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 01:08, 9. Nov 2022
Joined Aug 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How to remove dirt from below custom trees

Hey, I am creating a custom dimension mod for my friends, and the dimension itself is dark and creepy looking, and so seeing regular dirt from afar looks really odd and out of place. Let me elaborate if this sounds confusing. To generate custom trees in custom biomes, the surface block needs to be added to the tag "forge:dirt", but the problem is, this causes the blocks underneath the trees to turn into overworld dirt, which looks really ugly and out of place. How can I make it so that it spawns the custom dirt I made instead of overworld dirt?

Last seen on 01:41, 8. Jan 2024
Joined May 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I would suggest hand-making…
Wed, 11/24/2021 - 18:00

I would suggest hand-making your trees in-game, making them structures with structure blocks, and then importing the structure files into MCreator. After that, create a "Structure Spawn" element and use the imported trees. This method allows you to one, make the overall shape of your trees whatever you want instead of the default MCreator templates, and two, spawn the trees without the overworld dirt under them. The method also has its drawbacks, however. One, you'll have to make multiple structures and make one element for each individually if you want variation, and two, sometimes, a structure will spawn a block or two above the ground - I'm not sure why this happens. Ultimately, it's up to you if you want to do this to get rid of the dirt or not. Have a great day!

Last seen on 22:44, 18. Apr 2024
Joined Feb 2016
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Same as Khmer said, i make…
Sun, 12/26/2021 - 19:30

Same as Khmer said, i make my trees using Structure Blocks and that works much better, the problem is that for Forests is not a very good idea, as they will probably clump together in small spaces if you generate a lot of them in a single biome.
As for the "one or two block above spawn" thing, i think you can partially fix this using conditions for the generation. This will limit the spawns, but for example if the condition always is "get block at X Y Z = air" and so for all the spawn bases of your tree, this technically fixes the issue, as the tree will only spawn if all the blocks tagged are AIR. But i don't know much about this, i discovered conditions like 3 weeks ago so don't take this too seriously. Also NorthWestTrees Gaming made a video about this particular theme, you should look for it on Youtube