Joined Dec 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Feature-Question: Vanilla texture referencing

I am fairly new to using MCreator but it seems I cannot map custom blocks to vanilla textures without ripping from the vanilla assets which isn't ideal - mainly since I wanted to create vanilla-plus blocks that use vanilla textures but enables resource pack overrides. Googling told me using vanilla assets requires a specific Java function. Is there any UI based feature that allows me to do this within MCreator? I did see a couple "issue" tickets but nothing seemed to be answered. If not current, is this a planned feature? If not, I guess I'll have to post in the java-modding help forum (new to Java, used to C#)...

It is possible with someā€¦
Wed, 01/12/2022 - 10:20

It is possible with some code tricks. If you are using custom block, enter its .json files and replace placeholder texture with the name of texture from Minecraft workspace (for example, if your placeholder is named "mod_id:your_placeholder", and you want it to look like oak log, then you change it to "minecraft:blocks/oak_log" ^. It is basically this topic (part 7th), but for Minecraft instead of another mod.

Also, as in the topic I linked, remember that sometimes there are several .jsons to edit, but only some of them have such purpose (I've written more details in the topic itself).

^ it may be also "block/oak_log" or just "oak_log", I'm not entirely sure which one vanilla Mc uses