• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
[Tutorial] How to change Vanilla texture and models
Wed, 01/05/2022 - 17:58 (edited)

How to change Vanilla textures and models and some tech explanation

Do you think that some vanilla texture are ugly and do you want to change it? Or do you want just do a prank to your friends by switching water and lava textures? Well, this tutorial is exactly for you if your name is not The_librarian! Wait thts my name? Anyway ...

A little bit of tech explanation (you can skip this if you want) 

Did you know what is exactly the src folder in the workspace? Well, I don't Well, is the place where texture and models go and do you might think, but The_librarian, is this copied from Fortnite similar to texture pack? Exactly! The java script will create blocks, entities, particles and items and the mod's "texture pack" texturizes them. But if you change the directory of files adding some folders, this will become a texture pack at all! Let's pass to the tutorial!

Changing vanilla textures

First you need a texture and give me a lot of diamonds for what you want to change (entity, block etc.) and go the Workspace folder. Then go in src/main/resources/assets and create a new folder and call it minecraft. Into minecraft folder create two folder and call they textures and models. Into textures and models folders add another folder and call it item, block etc. based on what do you want to change. Then put in that folders your texture and call it with the exact name of the precedent texture. For example if you want to change sand texture your texture file name have to be sand.png. 

Some notes

- Without Optifine you can't change entities models!

- Don't put older minecraft version textures without be sure that works!

- If you want tweak somethings else remember that is like a texture pack so read here for more info https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Resource_Pack

I hope this will help you in your modding adventure! And please don't switch water and lava ...

Edited by The_librarian on Wed, 01/05/2022 - 17:58
Last seen on 01:07, 21. Nov 2022
Joined Mar 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Hello! First of all thank…
Wed, 05/18/2022 - 01:39

Hello! First of all thank you SO much for sharing this!!! Myself and many others in the community have longed for a way to do this!

How would I go about adding a variety of textures for a single entity (example, adding a black, brown, and arctic wolf)? I know some methods outside of mcreator involve doing something similar to your directions, and with each copied file name adding a number after it (example: wolf1.png, wolf2.png, wolf3.png, etc.). Would something like this work?

Last seen on 01:07, 21. Nov 2022
Joined Mar 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Sorry, another question. I…
Sat, 05/21/2022 - 15:59

Sorry, another question.

I've downloaded Optifine but I can't get the model replacement to work. I followed the directions you listed, but I feel like I'm missing a step for Optifine to actually do something (the texture replacements work just fine, I just cant get the models to function).

Last seen on 19:13, 23. Apr 2024
Joined Sep 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
@ViperousDeer Im glad you…
Mon, 05/23/2022 - 20:28

@ViperousDeer Im glad you liked this page, but you cant do texture variation with this method. What effectively I have showed is making a mod working like a texture pack. Texture variations are not in the minecraft source code so you have to code them by yourself. For optifine models I dont recommend to use this feature with a mod because it could cause bugs, but if you want to do it just add a folder near "minecraft" and call it "optifine"