How to make expanding and dissipating clouds?

Started by BLOOD_MOON_1 on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 10:58, 16. Feb 2023
Joined Dec 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How to make expanding and dissipating clouds?

I'm not asking for a cloud structure in the sky, I already know how to do that. I'm asking for a procedure (custom or not) that can:

1. Spawn a single cloud block that expands over time and forms in 3 dimensions.

2. Clouds will dissipate over time.

Both of these need to be achieved without replacing existing blocks or relying on the random tick speed. The reason I don't want the clouds using the random tick speed is because after a certain distance they will just stop at a chunk border (I tested this in a 2d area).

What I've tried so far:

• Having a 1x1 structure that spawns within a 300x300 area around the player and a duplicate that removes blocks. The clouds appeared very messy.

• Using a custom procedure that places blocks next to other blocks, copying it and adding a 0.00000001 chance that a fake air block will spawn and delete the cloud. The problem with this one was that it relied on the random tick speed causing clouds to cut off at chunk borders.

• Using particles.

No, I can't just have a stationary structure because I have something wrong with my brain.

Last seen on 20:10, 10. Dec 2023
Joined Mar 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I got 2 options for you, idk…
Sat, 06/11/2022 - 15:16

I got 2 options for you, idk how they would work out though.

You could just create a cloud entity. It would fly slowly in a single direction (as if being pushed by the wind) and despawn after a while. You could make multiple models if you wanted a variety of clouds.

If you really need the block, you could have it spawn in the air, then use the random block to simulate the random tick speed.

The procedure could be something like this:

if random[0,1) < (The percentage you want):

do_whatever

You could have it be more likely to spawn cloud blocks in the direction you want it to move, and less likely for it to be vertical. If you want a limit to how many clouds there can be, set some sort of NBT variable in the block to see how many it can spawn.

Last seen on 10:58, 16. Feb 2023
Joined Dec 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Thanks! I'll try the second…
Sat, 06/11/2022 - 17:20

Thanks! I'll try the second one tomorrow, I'm not prepared for the headache known as fake air right now.

I can't do the first one because I'm not good with 3d models and it makes randomness really difficult.