Can I sell my own Minecraft: Java Edition mods?

Started by Atten007 on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 14:58, 19. Apr 2024
Joined Apr 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Can I sell my own Minecraft: Java Edition mods?

Hi folks,

I want to make some cool Minecraft: Java Edition mods for Forge 1.12.2 and newer excluding 1.13.2. I‘m investing a lot of time every day in my mods with MCreator, so I want to be paid for my mods. Now I want to open a online store for my mods on my web page with WooCommerce, but I‘m not sure if I can sell my own mods on my webpage. Am I allowed to sell my own Minecraft Forge mods on my web page?

Sincerely yours,

Atten007😊

Last seen on 12:55, 9. Aug 2022
Joined Jul 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I would recomend reading…
Mon, 07/25/2022 - 09:35

I would recomend reading threw the minecraft java edition EULA before selling anything, but that hopefully isn't a problem.

I don't think you can sell…
Mon, 07/25/2022 - 15:46

I don't think you can sell mods, definitely check Minecraft EULA and if you really want to go forward, consult with a lawyer

Last seen on 21:42, 23. Aug 2022
Joined Jun 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I'm not entirely sure on the…
Thu, 08/18/2022 - 12:41

I'm not entirely sure on the legality of selling mods as it's a bit of a legal grey area, however (at least with the people I've talked to) the practice of selling mods is generally frowned upon in the modding community.

Last seen on 18:09, 2. Aug 2023
Joined Jul 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
maybe use patreon for…
Thu, 08/18/2022 - 12:49

maybe use patreon for donation 

Last seen on 06:22, 13. Mar 2023
Joined Feb 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Short answer, no you can't…
Sun, 08/21/2022 - 17:07

Short answer, no you can't.

The most you can do is have it on a Patreon page for patreon supporters to have access to things, but even that is a legal gray area.

From what I understand, technically you aren't suppose to do that, unless you have dev/beta/alpha versions that you are working on through your patreon that has more features but you have to have the intention of releasing it and/or you have a release of the mod elsewhere for download for everyone.

A lot of creators just have a patreon for access to things and seem to get away with it though, but again, legal gray area. Up to you decide at your own discretion, but do not outright sell it.

Mcreator has its own agreement as well you agree to when you use it, and I am not sure how they feel about this if you are talking about mcreator mods.

I suggest you focus on making good mods and make money off the downloads it gets.