User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Coding help
Sat, 08/13/2022 - 08:00 (edited)

I'm new to MCreator and was wondering how difficult it is to code. I know that there is an IDE with MCreator, but are there some links to some detailed learning so I can understand the code of MCreator and create mods using code? I also know 'Blocks' are available as well, but I want to be sure I can learn a LOT.

Edited by NathanDiniz on Sat, 08/13/2022 - 08:00
Last seen on 06:22, 13. Mar 2023
Joined Feb 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
So, if you are using it to…
Sun, 08/21/2022 - 17:25

So, if you are using it to actually learn coding, you won't learn much without creating custom code. I personally have found you will only learn a lot by messing around with custom code and doing actual research to learn Java/Minecraft's code. I have learned a lot through mcreator this way honestly and can now make mods without it, and I started with mcreator.

It is a great introduction to Java coding when used in this way, as it provides excellent examples of code. Some things mcreator does isn't the way you would want to for an actual mod. That being said, the practice it provides in trying out simple things with custom code while providing you with the difficult parts of compiling a mod and allowing you to read and see what an item's code should look like for example is great for an introduction into modding. Once you know how to do things, you can just edit all the code how you like as well.

If you are using it to learn java code for minecraft, I suggest learning the basics of java as you go, then moving on to some more difficult things, like declaring and calling new classes inside procedures that aren't your main class, and trying to create a configuration file (it's easier then you would think once you know the basics).

The procedures and plugins have also gotten very good so it allows you to learn a lot by looking at the actual code it creates, and customizing it. There are also a lot of tutorials on the forums for custom codes to help get started with things like that.

At this point, I could create mods without it from what I have learned, but I still use it to ease the process of creating new projects, procedures, and setting up my code for items/guis and things. Then just editing it extensively from there. You are able to edit everything you want, so mcreator's GUI makes setting projects much easier than doing them myself honestly is probably the biggest reason I still use it.