Interested in feedback and best-practices advice as I begin working on my first mod ♥

Started by Lofty on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 04:04, 3. Feb 2023
Joined Dec 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Interested in feedback and best-practices advice as I begin working on my first mod ♥
Sun, 12/18/2022 - 09:52 (edited)

Hello friends,

I'm brand new to MCreator!
I've laid out a plan for my first mod project and want to ask about known best practices for each of the components of it.

My hope is that most or all of these things can be accomplished quickly and easily using MCreator.
I have a programming and game development background, but my knowledge of how Minecraft works under the hood is very limited.

For example, I know that tags exist and that NBT exists but do not understand how these pieces fit into the game engine or what I should be on the lookout for in terms of common pitfalls or rookie mistakes.

As I've been learning MCreator's UI, I've also been skimming through tutorials linked in places like the wiki, but if anyone has suggestions for specific tutorials that may be relevant to this project or explain the different parts of it in an intuitive way, I'd definitely appreciate the extra guidance.

Things that I think sound simple but might end up being complicated:

• Saving the contents of a Phantomail Bundle into a Phantomail Package
  • Input / Output sanitizing and filtering on the Phantomailbox
  • Delivering items to a Phantomailbox in an unloaded chunk
  • Interactions with hoppers / choosing which slots can be pulled from?
  • Converting the Phantomail Package item back to a regular bundle on use
  • Sleeping to quickly cycle the whole mail system
  • Determining whether or not a dimension has a day/night cycle (Blue Skies mod's Everbright and Everdawn come to mind)
  • Saving things like addresses on the server somewhere and actioning requests using that data + disallowing duplicated addresses
  • Storing item data somewhere while it is in transit between two Phantomailboxes
  • Avoiding stupid mistakes that may result in item duplication etc
  • Making the GUI automagically translate using localization
  • Making this work with Fabric + Forge

So, here's my schematic. Feedback appreciated - I'll keep an eye on this thread over the next few days while I staple stuff together.
Thanks in advance!

Link to fullsize image here: https://i.imgur.com/aMuc1Q0.png

Phantomail mod schematic

Edited by Lofty on Sun, 12/18/2022 - 09:52
I suggest you check our…
Sun, 12/18/2022 - 10:01

I suggest you check our tutorials collection playlist on our YouTube channel which contains many examples and tutorials that can help you get started with MCreator: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAeL-oIFIEngE6jRgFYeFMfuj8WQsO3Ei

We also have intermediate tutorials playlist on this channel where you may be able to find more advanced tutorials.

Some are for older MCR versions but most of the things are still relevant without major changes.

Last seen on 22:15, 13. Mar 2023
Joined Oct 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
NBT data is your friend…
Sun, 12/18/2022 - 20:22

NBT data is your friend. That's how you can store variables in items/entities/blocks (these are called tile entities)

Last seen on 04:04, 3. Feb 2023
Joined Dec 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Both of these replies were…
Tue, 12/20/2022 - 22:05

Both of these replies were helpful, thank you.