Shearable Chickens

Started by ItsJustPerryGuys on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 22:18, 26. Mar 2023
Joined Mar 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Shearable Chickens
Tue, 03/21/2023 - 18:03 (edited)

Hello to all ye fellow modding enthusiasts!

To jump into this very fast, I am looking to make feathers an item that can be "sheared" from chickens via a tool I created called the Feather Collector. I am very much a noob at block coding. I tried to research others doing similar things here on the forums, yet my search has returned nothing. I searched YT and only found simple videos on how to basically make regular tools with different skins or "custom" ores. 
     Any and all help is much appreciated, I am not asking for someone to do my work, merely a step in the correct direction or possibly some forums or videos that I have yet to run across would be amazing! Anywhoooo! thats all i am after!

Edit/Update:  I have found something similar to what I am doing yet its not fully functional. I found the Tutorials mad by the devs, yet No luck on a video covering shears. I am sure that there is a video covering something similar by them. I will just need to watch through all of them.

Edited by ItsJustPerryGuys on Tue, 03/21/2023 - 18:03
Last seen on 06:13, 28. Aug 2023
Joined Jun 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Given this a go, made a tool…
Tue, 03/21/2023 - 17:46

Given this a go, made a tool that has 5 durability and when right clicked on a chicken it provides 1 feather and damages the tool by 1. There is a way to make it so the mob is on a cooldown until it can be "sheared" again.
1. Would you want it to have a cooldown
2. Would you want the chicken to look featherless? ( involves making a second chicken mob that is textured without feathers )

Last seen on 22:18, 26. Mar 2023
Joined Mar 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
@CaptainShark Thank you very…
Tue, 03/21/2023 - 18:12

@CaptainShark Thank you very Much! I would like it to have a cooldown. As for the chicken being featherless, I feel this to simply be aesthetically pleasing yet not really needed. It would show the player a reason for not being able to shear the chicken again. Your work is much appreciated, if possible we could sit down in Discord sometime and you could show me the ropes of doing this and I could take notes. Otherwise a ScreenSnip of your work.
     You are a godsend my friend! back to the topic of the chicken showing no feathers after plucked. If i made a sound, we could make it so that when you attempt to pluck it again whilst it isnt ready the sound plays. This sounds far more simple than creating a new chicken texture. Let me know your thoughts!

Joined Jun 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
The only way I currently…
Tue, 03/21/2023 - 18:22

The only way I currently know how to do so would basically be (after a second mob that looks like a chicken just textured without feathers ): Shear the chicken - despawns the chicken - spawns the new chicken - after the cooldown ends the chicken despawns - A vanilla chicken then respawns. The sound should be fairly simple as well, right clicking the new chicken would then play a sound ( since that new chicken could never be sheared ) the sound would pretty much work the same even if the chicken did not get replaced by a new one.

Also I will post what I did here in a moment so that anyone else who stumbles across this who needs the answer can see it

Joined Jun 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
That is without the cooldown…
Tue, 03/21/2023 - 18:51

That is without the cooldown added by the way ^. It's just making the tool, and it working on chickens