I opened an issue for this a day or two ago, and i was advised to download the Java 8 JDK, which i have since done. I assumed i had gotten everything working, changed JAVA_HOME to direct to the JDK etc. then i started MCreator the next day, after getting the issue closed since i assumed everything would work fine.
the problem i'm experiencing is MCreator is completely ignoring the changes i've made to JAVA_HOME. doing either "$JAVA_HOME" or "echo $JAVA_HOME" will display the new target directory of "/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64". but the MCreator console says it still thinks JAVA_HOME points to "/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre".
I know i shouldn't have gotten my previous issue closed so i could just have stayed on that one so, sorry in advance for opening a new one.
https://pastebin.com/UesXXDCJ the error log incase it's still of importance, the error is identical to beforehand.