Trying to add a new item to an existing loot table

Started by chigen123 on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 00:29, 16. Jan 2024
Joined Oct 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Trying to add a new item to an existing loot table

I’m trying to make several loot tables that will give several basic monsters a small chance to drop a rare item. I saw in another post that I need to find and copy the loot table from the game files, but I can’t find the game files. I have the Minecraft launcher and Bedrock, Java and Windows 10 editions inside of it, so I don’t know if that makes a difference. If anyone knows how I can find the loot tables and how to add my custom item to them, please let me know.

Last seen on 20:37, 26. Jul 2024
Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
There is technically some…
Thu, 11/02/2023 - 02:28

There is technically some way to do this, but it kinda seems like a lot of effort. If you don't want to bother trying to find a way to unpack the game's source files, I recommend using an external tool like MCAssets to browse minecraft files. You can find all the loot tables, (in the data tab), as well as sounds, structure NBT, and textures, which can be helpful for a variety of things. 

There's also a directory of vanilla loot table registry names somewhere on MCreator, but it's not always up to date. You're correct though, as long as you make a loot table in the Minecraft namespace, and make sure the name of the loot table is identical to the vanilla loot table, it will override it.

(The specific location of entity loot tables on MCAssets, incidentally, is 1.20/data/minecraft/loot_tables/entities)

Last seen on 00:29, 16. Jan 2024
Joined Oct 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Thanks for letting me know!…
Thu, 11/02/2023 - 02:39

Thanks for letting me know! I’ve devised an alternate system for obtaining the item for now, but once I’ve gotten a bit more comfortable with the software and all I will be sure to try that out.