User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Where did the biome preview image go?
Wed, 09/25/2019 - 09:12 (edited)

I've recently updated to 1.9.1 from the last version, and honestly I'm both impressed and disappointed..

- The "Create new texture from template" button is now hidden inside of the "Create new texture from scratch" button, which is annoying.
Why exactly can it not be its own button anymore? There's plenty of space up there.

- The image showing the block heights and sea level is more informative, but more boring looking.

- There's still no template texture for bookshelves. (Among other things)

- And the preview image for changing biome grass/sky/water textures is gone!

That last one was VERY useful.. As it takes a full 2-5 minutes to open the game each and every time from MCreator, having an active preview of what the colors will
look like over a landscape helped save a lot of time, even if the water colors weren't always wholly representative of their appearance in-game.

Why on earth would you remove such an integral and valuable feature? Creating custom biomes is going to be a total chore without it.

Edited by Squishybrick on Wed, 09/25/2019 - 09:12
The preview was not accurate…
Wed, 09/25/2019 - 16:09

The preview was not accurate at all and was confusing users.

For the create texture from the template, good spot, we will consider adding it back.

Last seen on 00:41, 9. Jan 2024
Joined Sep 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I understand the preview was…
Wed, 09/25/2019 - 23:28

I understand the preview was not 100% accurate, but it allowed the player a general idea of what a biome may look like with certain colors..

For adding random "just for fun" biomes, sure, the preview is unneeded, but for those of us who take our projects seriously,
having that preview really helped give us a basic view of what it "could" look like, since the alternative of repeatedly opening and closing the game with different colors chosen is just downright disheartening.

The sky color seemed almost perfectly accurate to the preview, as did the grass color.. The only thing I found slightly misleading was the water color, as in-game, it always seemed to be a bit more blue/transparent than the preview would show.

And even if it was flawed, why not fix it instead of just completely removing it? Did such a large amount of users really complain about it being confusing?.. I personally found it to be of utmost importance for creating an accurately color-schemed landscape for a custom biome.