Joined Jul 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Are these shadows on blocks from 3d json models normal

Hi, I'm new to modding Minecraft and have made a mix of standard blocks with MCreator and blocks based on 3d models (Blockbench via json files) in MCreator. I have a few questions that I'll spread across different posts to keep the issues separate.

This question is about shadows. When I first started creating blocks based on 3d models from Blockbench I noticed shadows that were very different to the game blocks. It was most noticeable on blocks that were smaller than a standard block. For example, I created some vertical slabs (full height/width, half depth) and the front face was almost black. I found that be reducing the bounding box to the size of the model, it largely fixed the problem.

But I still see some noticeable shadowing on some of my custom blocks. The two pics below are wall sections I created (standard blocks not walls, 3/4 deep or 12pixels deep not 16).

Shadows on custom blocks 1

Shadows on custom blocks 2

Is this normal and to be expected? I can live with it, but it seems to be different to the rendering/shadowing on the regular game blocks.

Last seen on 19:32, 20. Sep 2020
Joined Apr 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I think it is related to…
Fri, 08/28/2020 - 12:11

I think it is related to Ambient occlusion of the model in Blockbench

Try uncheck "Ambient occlusion" box in the creation of your model and maybe it will work

I didn't try it but I also have issues with shadows of the models

Please let me know if it works

Joined Apr 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I just tried and it works,…
Fri, 08/28/2020 - 12:22

I just tried and it works, but the thing is: there is no ambient occlusion anymore so visually it's almost invisible but still looks a bit odd

Ambient occlusion is some sort of shadowing of the block depending on what blocks are next to it and it's in most 3D video games

Joined Apr 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Btw you can edit the ambient…
Fri, 08/28/2020 - 12:23

Btw you can edit the ambient occlusion from true to false directly into the model folder of your project with notepad++ instead of re-importing your model :)

Last seen on 07:53, 26. Dec 2020
Joined Aug 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Where u find the ambient…
Tue, 09/22/2020 - 12:08

Where u find the ambient occlusion line in the notepad? I can't find it. Help me