How to create a block that's half solid and half glass?

Started by davidaedwards on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 06:02, 10. Aug 2020
Joined Jul 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How to create a block that's half solid and half glass?

Hi, I want to be able to have a half-solid, half-glass block for a specific building I'm making. I have a mod that allows me to stack slabs, and this has worked for solid slabs. But I just created a glass slab in MCreator, but ingame I couldn't stack it with a solid slab (brick in this case). I guess glass blocks are very different to solid blocks.

So, now I'm thinking of two options:

1. Create a set of textures with half solid/half glass (and one face all solid, and one face all glass). I haven't tried this but I suspect it will get weird looking through the glass at the solid half as there's no solid texture between the halves.

2. Use blockbench to create a model with a solid half and transparent half.

Has anyone tried this and have any good suggestions?

Last seen on 19:53, 2. Jun 2021
Joined Sep 2016
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
  For transparent custom…
Tue, 07/28/2020 - 08:05

For transparent custom blocks, just do your custom block on blockbench and UV map the texture, put the transparency part wtv you want.

when you create the block on Mcreator pick the Translucent option for glasses and transparent stuff, Or if its a block live leaves ('holes' with no texture) pick Cutout.

now when said 'But I just created a glass slab in MCreator, but ingame I couldn't stack it with a solid slab' i dont know what you are saying, you cant stack 2 different blocks...

Last seen on 06:02, 10. Aug 2020
Joined Jul 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Thanks gustavowizard123. I…
Tue, 07/28/2020 - 08:45

Thanks gustavowizard123. I've played around with that and it does what I want.

Ignore the comment about stacking. I've got a mod ("DoubleSlabs") that allows stacking two different slabs.