Topic category: Mod ideas exchange
previously, I started a forum topic: a poll on what biome you guys want modded... and the biome that won is the Badlands.
ok, to be honest, I was quite glad (explanation in the last 2 sentences of this paragraph) that the badlands won. I sometimes hate surviving in the badlands as the only good food sources are apples (which are rarely dropped by oak leaves) and fishes (acquired from fishing in rare lakes). but despite that, I like how the biome is rich in gold, terracotta, and red sand, and has a really cool terrain generation with all the hoodoos, mesas, and plateaus. so, this might be an interesting mod to make, I think, and I'll be trying to make this mod:
- both survival & creative-friendly as possible
- encourage exploration of the badlands
- make it so that players who might spawn in badlands biomes on survival mode would no longer have to worry about poor (?) survivability there
I've been thinking of what features to add lately and these are the things I've come up with:
- bighorn sheep - will drop edible bighorn meat. entity model is finished.
- terracotta roof tiles - for better-looking roofs! has the default terracotta color and comes in all 16 colors. textures and blocks (all colors) have already been added.
- pottery - adds potter's wheels and kilns. make earthenware pots, amphorae, and vases! take note tho, this may or may not be actually added depending on its difficulty as I haven't done something like this before.
- new plants
- rattlesnakes - neutral, will occasionally make a rattling sound, will attack and poison the player if angered, and drops rattlesnake fang (33% chance) & its rattle (10% chance) upon death. its venom can be extracted as well.
- and a civilized race that adapted to the badlands & built villages and structures such as badlands temples and some big terracotta statues
and so far, I've already worked on the following features:
bighorn sheep (working model and AI, drops loot table, tamable, rideable, can spawn in savannah plateaus, mountains, and wooded badlands plateaus, but... their baby models are big! baby bighorns are weird for now, but I'll try to find a size-changing render code to fix their size problem)
terracotta roof tiles (already added the uncolored variant, plus 16 colored variants, as blocks, and their rotations are working perfectly and "realistically")
red sandstone bricks, chiseled red sandstone bricks, gilded red sandstone bricks
revolver (working unique NBT-based bullet mechanics, keybind-powered reloading/unloading, powerful yet unobtainable-in-survival enchantments. quite proud of this one!) (THIS FEATURE HAS BEEN SCRAPPED!)
but I also need to know the things that you guys want to see in a mod like this (which is the point of this forum topic). let me know what you want in a mod that would aim to improve the badlands biome, and I'm most likely gonna be reviewing your ideas and try to add them :)
P.S. the mod is named "Betterlands". get it? coz it'll be trying to make the badlands better