User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Looking for ideas for a badlands mod
Wed, 04/14/2021 - 22:47 (edited)

previously, I started a forum topic: a poll on what biome you guys want modded... and the biome that won is the Badlands.

ok, to be honest, I was quite glad (explanation in the last 2 sentences of this paragraph) that the badlands won. I sometimes hate surviving in the badlands as the only good food sources are apples (which are rarely dropped by oak leaves) and fishes (acquired from fishing in rare lakes). but despite that, I like how the biome is rich in gold, terracotta, and red sand, and has a really cool terrain generation with all the hoodoos, mesas, and plateaus. so, this might be an interesting mod to make, I think, and I'll be trying to make this mod:

• vanilla-style
  • balanced
  • both survival & creative-friendly as possible
  • encourage exploration of the badlands
  • make it so that players who might spawn in badlands biomes on survival mode would no longer have to worry about poor (?) survivability there

I've been thinking of what features to add lately and these are the things I've come up with:

• bighorn sheep - will drop edible bighorn meat. entity model is finished.
  • terracotta roof tiles - for better-looking roofs! has the default terracotta color and comes in all 16 colors. textures and blocks (all colors) have already been added.
  • pottery - adds potter's wheels and kilns. make earthenware pots, amphorae, and vases! take note tho, this may or may not be actually added depending on its difficulty as I haven't done something like this before.
  • new plants
  • rattlesnakes - neutral, will occasionally make a rattling sound, will attack and poison the player if angered, and drops rattlesnake fang (33% chance) & its rattle (10% chance) upon death. its venom can be extracted as well.
  • and a civilized race that adapted to the badlands & built villages and structures such as badlands temples and some big terracotta statues

and so far, I've already worked on the following features:

• bighorn sheep (working model and AI, drops loot table, tamable, rideable, can spawn in savannah plateaus, mountains, and wooded badlands plateaus, but... their baby models are big! baby bighorns are weird for now, but I'll try to find a size-changing render code to fix their size problem)

• terracotta roof tiles (already added the uncolored variant, plus 16 colored variants, as blocks, and their rotations are working perfectly and "realistically")

• red sandstone bricks, chiseled red sandstone bricks, gilded red sandstone bricks

• revolver (working unique NBT-based bullet mechanics, keybind-powered reloading/unloading, powerful yet unobtainable-in-survival enchantments. quite proud of this one!) (THIS FEATURE HAS BEEN SCRAPPED!)

but I also need to know the things that you guys want to see in a mod like this (which is the point of this forum topic). let me know what you want in a mod that would aim to improve the badlands biome, and I'm most likely gonna be reviewing your ideas and try to add them :)

P.S. the mod is named "Betterlands". get it? coz it'll be trying to make the badlands better

Edited by Sajevius on Wed, 04/14/2021 - 22:47
Last seen on 08:14, 28. Nov 2023
Joined Aug 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
while I'm suffering behind…
Mon, 02/22/2021 - 08:39

while I'm suffering behind the scenes at making new terracotta blocks like bricks and pavements (all having colored variants which is honestly time-consuming to make), and the pre-alpha hasn't been released yet, here's a preview of what the badlands terrain might look like ;)

preview of the new badlands

Last seen on 19:10, 4. Aug 2023
Joined Aug 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Wow, It really is better,…
Mon, 02/22/2021 - 11:01

Wow, It really is better, maybe a bit too alive for a biome like the badlands, but minecraft isn't real life so I don't think that matter.

Joined Aug 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
also I have some bad news: …
Fri, 02/26/2021 - 13:16

also I have some bad news:

• revolvers have been removed! I just felt that they wouldn't really fit well in a biome expansion mod like this. but not to worry, I'm likely to add the revolvers in other future mods with combat themes!
  • about the new villagers... I'm afraid they won't be added in this mod. but every cloud has a silver lining! I'm planning to add them in one of my future story/adventure mod, ONE Trinity!
Last seen on 10:38, 3. Mar 2024
Joined Feb 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Hey I've been wondering how…
Tue, 03/02/2021 - 19:16

Hey I've been wondering how do you make a mob or block drop 2 items and how do you change the drop rate

Last seen on 15:50, 28. Jun 2021
Joined Mar 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I will say, I’m not sure if…
Wed, 04/14/2021 - 19:25

I will say, I’m not sure if adding a revolver item is fitting of the “vanilla-style” aspect of your mod that you stated you would try to include. The rest sounds really good though.

Joined Aug 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
fryguythe777th, speaking of…
Wed, 04/14/2021 - 22:44

fryguythe777th, speaking of the revolver: have you, by chance, downloaded & tried the mod yet? or have at least read my previous reply here? coz icymi, I've already removed revolvers before I released the pre-alpha version; during the early development stages of this mod I figured they'd be out of place in a badlands-themed mod like this. (like, who would even expect revolvers in a vanilla plus badlands mod lol) I scrapped the revolver idea a long time ago, but you reminded me of it again.. ugh XD (guess it's my fault for not having edited this forum topic for a long time)

it's already scrapped, so don't worry about it anymore. and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Joined Mar 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Oh, sorry! I only read the…
Wed, 04/14/2021 - 23:26

Oh, sorry! I only read the first page of comments, not the second where your removal was. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Joined Mar 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
You can create a loot table…
Wed, 04/14/2021 - 23:28

You can create a loot table using MCreator and name it to match with the block you are looking for to make it apply. Sorry I can’t give a more detailed explanation, but I can’t remember the specifics.