Caves of Cobalt: Looking for Playtesters / Bug Squashers!

Started by rmsandegs on

Topic category: Mod design feedback

Last seen on 00:30, 24. Aug 2023
Joined May 2014
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Caves of Cobalt: Looking for Playtesters / Bug Squashers!
Tue, 03/30/2021 - 00:43 (edited)

CoC title

For nearly two years, I've been steadily developing an ambitious mod to add some life to the underground! This mod now has over 1,000 elements, including 250+ blocks, 130+ items, 9 armor sets, and nearly 30 mobs.

Since testing everything in this mod for bugs and gameplay balance on my own would be extremely difficult, I'm calling for anyone who is willing to try it out and give some feedback! Bug-squashing in creative is appreciated, and testing it out in survival mode to get a feel for the natural flow and progression of the mod is also very valuable. If there are any visual or balance changes you think would be appropriate, let me know of those as well!

This mod is fully Just-Enough-Items compatible, including with custom crafting stations. So I'd strongly recommend it in order to easily experience everything Caves of Cobalt has to offer!

Screenshot Gallery (Click here)

KNOWN BUGS / NEEDED CHANGES:

• [Bug] Baby Zombies turn into adults when killed with Rot.
  • [Bug] Dwarves turn into Zombie villagers when zombified.

garnish

(For Forge 1.15.2)

Edited by rmsandegs on Tue, 03/30/2021 - 00:43
Last seen on 17:39, 24. Sep 2022
Joined Jan 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
MrCreeps, yes they have…
Mon, 03/29/2021 - 18:39

MrCreeps, yes they have added underground biomes, there are two to my knowledge.

Cursed night, the .JAR file is in the mod description, it was to big to put in the download area.

Joined May 2014
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
MrD0nny, I cannot replicate…
Mon, 03/29/2021 - 21:21

MrD0nny,

I cannot replicate the problems you saw with the mobs' textures and appearance. This might have to do with Optifine if you're using it.

As for the small caves with Marigolds in them, I can adjust the height so they are not allowed to generate under a certain point. This should fix it.

Baby Zombies turning into adults is a very good observation. I can fix that easily. Thank you!

Now, for the Dwarves. I'll see what I can do with those. Dwarves are basically just Villagers with custom models, which is why they turn into Zombie-Villagers when they are killed by Zombies. This might be hard to change.

Joined May 2014
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
nebula: I started to play…
Mon, 03/29/2021 - 21:34

nebula:

I started to play the underworld music disc (great track by the way, absolutely love it) and I took it out of the jukebox and it was still playing. I did it in the underworld cave biome so I thought that's what was wrong but it kept playing even though the music box was destroyed.

I wasn't able to re-create this bug in my testing. You said you were in the Molten Crags biome, which plays that song randomly. That's the only explanation I can come up with, sorry.

Joined May 2014
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
MrCreeps How have you done…
Mon, 03/29/2021 - 21:39

MrCreeps

How have you done the underground biomes?

They aren't technically "biomes" in the traditional sense. If you press F3 then you can see that they aren't even biomes at all.

But as for how they're generated, it's almost entirely with custom code. I tried to get it done with procedures, but it always ended up being too laggy.

Joined May 2014
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Gosdas When i go into…
Mon, 03/29/2021 - 21:47

Gosdas

When i go into spectator mode to see the cave i just fall into the void.

if i go far into my world everything just turns black.

Could you send me the world? I'd like to take a closer look at it. This type of glitch is often due to the world not loading quick enough, which can happen from time-to-time. I've tried to make the world gen as smooth and resource-light as I can, but this is my first project in Java, after all.

Last seen on 14:03, 18. Apr 2024
Joined Sep 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I am glad you listened to my…
Thu, 04/01/2021 - 14:52

I am glad you listened to my comment and I hope you will be able to solve all the problems, because this is really an epic mod.

Last seen on 13:41, 23. Mar 2023
Joined Sep 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Can you dm me on discord? I…
Thu, 04/01/2021 - 16:50

Can you dm me on discord? I would like to know how you added the cave biomes, my discord is happyperson3796#3601

Last seen on 17:03, 19. Apr 2024
Joined Sep 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
update to 1.16.5
Sun, 04/04/2021 - 12:24

update to 1.16.5

Joined May 2014
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I will when I can. About…
Tue, 04/06/2021 - 16:31

I will when I can. About half of the mod is custom-code, meaning I have to manually update it. 1.16.5 is a much lower priority than getting a working wiki, patching bugs, and improving performance.

Found the case that Stalag…
Mon, 04/26/2021 - 15:14

Found the case that Stalag-Mite, after returning back into "block" form, replaced my crafting bench with itself.

It scared me a bit only because there was a lot of storage blocks nearby, I'd be angry if they disappear someday :P