How to make custom road blocks to "blend" with the terrain

Started by GioMikeRafto on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 20:11, 16. Aug 2023
Joined Sep 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How to make custom road blocks to "blend" with the terrain

So I have been trying to make a custom village for one of my mods. I've partially managed to make the roads spawn, but how can I make my roads "blend" with the terrain (and not float and be a flat structure)?

Say we have a terrain like this:

_______                   _______/                                   \________

\________/                                                                   \_____

How can a custom road structure replace the top layer of the terrain in the same way that an mc village does?

I am aware that this may not be easy, but I would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance

Last seen on 16:56, 6. Jul 2022
Joined May 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
bump.
Sat, 03/12/2022 - 17:35

bump.

It is indeed difficult to…
Tue, 03/15/2022 - 23:38

It is indeed difficult to manage and will require probably a lot of testing and failing. But shortly, some tips:

1. use structure voids - when the structure is spawned, structure voids do not turn block into air, so it is easier to merge structure into terrain

2. use many structure blocks and figure out procedure maths for spawning them (if you add conditions, it will be even more precise, but also more difficult) - this will make your structures more "split", but in the same time, the smaller structure, the more coherent it is with terrain and looks less unnatural

3. create your own terrain - it makes it easier to blend structure with terrain than structure alone. Just remember than each biome has a bit different terrain, and also there are mods changing it, so you'd need to make separate variants for cities for deserts and so on. Just like vanilla Minecraft do, btw :>

4. use side-party programs or mods - this is kinda optional, but there's Structure Expansion mod which can be useful for some extremely large projects, and WorldEdit-like programs can be helpful for making seamless terrain. Quite obvious tip, but I myself didn't think of possibility to make structures larger than structure block limit, for example, so sometimes it can be helpful, just because you didn't think of it before.

Ad 2: you can use structure blocks / structure entities (I'd recommend the latter, they are more manageable) to use specific structures spawn more precisely, but without that many maths. Simply, if you have structure A, put structure B entity in place where you imagine it to be - then make procedure spawning structure when player is in range of specific range (160 is good number).

Hope that helps ^^

Last seen on 16:56, 6. Jul 2022
Joined May 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I wonder if you make a…
Thu, 03/17/2022 - 02:49

I wonder if you make a structure that has gravity for a path like custom sand1 and then it deletes the grass under it replace it whit the block you want when they collide and from there make it spawn random building next to set points.

this is yust me spitballing here. i might try to see if can make something like that work.