A bit lengthy but coding questions for a very new coder

Started by CaptainShark on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 06:13, 28. Aug 2023
Joined Jun 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
A bit lengthy but coding questions for a very new coder

So far I've only properly understood very basic coding when I have an example. For example in Mcreator when making a custom recipe using the recipe element and then opening the code after I could see how it worked/if I wanted to swap blocks/items out with others I could do it via code instead of going back into the recipe element.

I've tried to look online for tutorials and guides but most are either outdated or more advanced and it quickly gets overwhelming for me lol. I've currently got a list of things I want to/need to figure out how to code, which would be a lot easier with examples that would mostly just be replacing items/blocks/code but mostly being the same thing. I can then dumb it down for myself if needed and save it in wording I understand better than all the technical terms.

1) How to animate custom models

I want my mobs to move more smoothly/at different speeds. All I know is that it can be coded in but I have no idea how to do it, if I need to do specific things in Blockbench, even just a simple thing like a fish moving it's fins and tail in a smooth looping motion would be a good enough example which I could then use as a template for the rest/future mobs.

2) How to specify what mob type I am targeting. Such as Villager jobs, White Fox, each individual tropical fish and so on.

For example I want to be able to identify if a Farmer Villager is the specific entity being checked for a procedure. Any specific tag would work because I assume then I could just copy the code and swap that entity with another entity and it would work?

3) How to edit the contents of a GUI/Block

For example I want to be able to have it so when a block is broken an item is spawned in a specific gui/block. A farmer villager getting close to a melon, that triggering a procedure to destroy the melon and spawn a melon in the "Farmer's Chest" ( a custom block with a gui )

4) How to edit the damage/fire rate of custom range items

For example I have custom slime mobs, they shoot new items, coloured slimeballs, but they do the default damage and I would want to be able to increase and decrease that damage amount/fire rate

5) How to code in larger structures that spawn flat on the ground

For example I have bear caves, but they sometimes spawn on uneven surfaces so part of it floats/is above water/ has sudden edges ( like 6 tall dirt walls around the edge since it should be in the ground but it spawns higher because it chose say a block of grass that is higher than the rest nearby ) To avoid them getting cut in half I limited it to 1 chunk so also how would I go about coding it to avoid dodgy chunk generation

Any examples/very new coder friendly advice would be appreciated.

Last seen on 15:21, 16. Oct 2023
Joined Oct 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
About 2) point. Mobs that…
Wed, 07/13/2022 - 09:26

About 2) point.

Mobs that have few variants but those can be implemented differently.

Villager has some Professions (like farmer, butcher), Fox has two Types (red and snow), cats have types too (white, tabby, red, black) but fox and cat types are stored differently. 

Also how you can get this information and how it is stored is different. (I assume you have Entity object one from MCreator dependencies). 

For villager its:

VillagerProfession profession = ((Villager) entity).getVillagerData().getProfession();

To get fox type its:

Fox.Type type = ((Fox) entity).getFoxType();

Cat type:

int type = ((Cat) entity).getCatType();

Villager profession and fox type is stored as enum but cat type is an int, so its bit hard to give universal answer. I don't know if you can access vanilla data tags (nbt tags).

Last seen on 15:21, 16. Oct 2023
Joined Oct 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Ps. For cat i checked…
Wed, 07/13/2022 - 09:27

Ps. For cat i checked unofficial documentation automatically generated from forge code and there cat type is an int. 

Last seen on 11:34, 9. Oct 2022
Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I don't think tropical fish…
Fri, 07/15/2022 - 14:06

I don't think tropical fish ID's are possible however

Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
also check out …
Fri, 07/15/2022 - 14:08

also check out 'NorthWestTreesGaming' he has mmaannyy many many helpful tutorials or the 'Pylo' channel both are on yt they should help a lot.. another person I might recommend is 'CursedWarrior' again on yt

Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Pylo btw is the official…
Fri, 07/15/2022 - 14:09

Pylo btw is the official development team behind mcreator so they could help they too do recommend NorthWestTreesGaming

and I do know they even sent you their playlist link it is helpful  definitely check it out

Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I literally grinded 102…
Fri, 07/15/2022 - 14:11

I literally grinded 102 points helping this guy out

Last seen on 06:13, 28. Aug 2023
Joined Jun 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I've seen some of NorthWest…
Sat, 07/16/2022 - 10:25

I've seen some of NorthWest videos, some helped me out in the past. There are many videos/playlists so if I was to binge watch a bunch of the videos from the start, where would I begin, I'm not sure what ones are outdated/no longer work/ which ones are best to start with that are up to date because I still can't figure out any of the issues In this post lol.

If anyone does get any of those issues working and can show images of the finished code/procedures and such still feel free to post them but besides that where should I begin binge watching North's videos?