Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Chunk Loading Problem in Latest Version

I've encountered an odd issue in one of my workspaces. When loading a world, whenever new chunks start loading, the game stops ticking everything. This is what I've discovered so far, and, seeing as I'm fairly certain I didn't change anything substantial before this occured, I genuinely have no idea what's causing it:

• The bug only occurs when new chunks are loaded; when initially entering a world, it works fine, and with regular performance. 
  • Shortly after entering, however, things stop updating. Chunks still load, and the day cycle still advances; but gravity blocks do not fall, ticking blocks do not tick, and entities no longer have AI and remain frozen in place. New entities cannot be spawned, and commands no longer function. 
  • There isn't much of a performance hit when this happened, though chunks take much longer to load in while everything is frozen.
  • It seemingly doesn't affect my superflat test worlds.
  • This problem only occurs in the one workspace; and thus perhaps has to do with size? The mod has over 1500 elements, but most are blocks and items and things that shouldn't affect performance.

• When the mod is exported, the error only occurs when teleporting long distances; there also isn't any issue loading chunks in while other parts of the game are frozen. However, the error is otherwise identical. 
  • This error did not occur in previous versions, and no significant changes have been made to the mod since. As far as I can tell, it only became an issue after downloading the latest snapshot.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious?

Last seen on 20:08, 17. Apr 2024
Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
...At this point I at least…
Sun, 11/20/2022 - 17:48

...At this point I at least have an idea of what's causing an issue, though I'm still not entirely sure how to solve it. The mod involves some custom blocks designed to generate custom structures, and the game only freezes when custom structures are enabled. Since this was not previously an issue, my running hypothesis is that one or more of the custom blocks is running a broken procedure that's overloading everything else, but at this point it's just a theory.

...Anyways, on the off chance anyone is having a similar issue, I'll post the solution/source of the issue if and when I figure it out.

Last seen on 20:08, 17. Apr 2024
Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
...And, solved it. To make a…
Sun, 11/20/2022 - 23:48

...And, solved it. To make a long story short, be careful with 'While' repeating blocks. 

...That being said, I've never really seen the game break like this. The issue was custom structure blocks using a while procedure that could sometimes never return a stop value, thus endlessly calling a procedure every tick in biomes where the structures generated. Weirdly, however, stuff like this has always crashed the game in the past, not just frozen everything. In fact, I don't think I've ever encountered a situation before where the game has just mostly stopped running tick updates instead of flat out forcequitting.

Anyways, I've fixed the problem, but now I'm still sort of curious why this particular freezing behavior happened, if anyone knows.