Changing Texture folders

Started by Derpy101 on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 09:39, 27. Apr 2024
Joined Apr 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Changing Texture folders

Hey there folks! Back once again, Will I solve this right after I post on the forum, Probably!

But I do have an issue, 

You see my mod has a LOT of textures, over 70 thousand atm, and probably more like 500 thousand once I'm done with the first version, and due to my large amount of textures anytime I click the texture button for items in the mcreator software, it freezes :(. big sad I know.

SO! I tried to move my textures outside of the assets/textures/item/ folder, even into a subfolder in the /item/ folder is fine, butttttttttttttt when using custom model data it doesn't load these textures, If I directly change the .json to have the subfolder as the MAIN texture it works fine, but if its an override texture, It no longer works, any thoughts?

(also I'm using this method because I need a lot of tools to have more than one texture and currently mcreator only supports plain items as such)

TYVM FOR ALL FEEDBACK

Last seen on 13:54, 28. Apr 2024
Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Holy cow, and I thought I…
Sun, 04/07/2024 - 18:52

Holy cow, and I thought I had a lot of textures. Oof. 

Even if you 're doing subfolders, I can't imagine replacing all the file references manually is going to be practical. The custom model thing probably just has to do with the models themselves; if you manually change the location of texture files, it won't change the directories in the models, you would also need to edit those manually. 

Not sure what to tell ya- best of luck man!

Joined Apr 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Oh hey there Mindthemoods,…
Wed, 04/10/2024 - 08:21

Oh hey there Mindthemoods, you're the only other person who i've seen with a large texture amount like my own, I made a python script to generate the json file edits for me, just because of the fact that yeah, its a lot. subfolders don't work which is a bit upsetting lol, I hope that mcreator will allow texture atlas changes in its next update, would be a huge help.

Joined Apr 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Wild, subfolders do work, I…
Wed, 04/10/2024 - 12:05

Wild, subfolders do work, I'm just not smart, I forgot to remove ONE SINGLE PERENTHESIS, IT COST ME SEVERAL WEEKS OF TRIAL AND ERROR, I MISSED ONE. SINGLE. PARENTHESIS. 

Last seen on 13:54, 28. Apr 2024
Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Oh man, I have been there…
Wed, 04/10/2024 - 14:01

Oh man, I have been there. Ran into a similar thing with End Biomes. Took me ages to realize I was doing it properly and the plugin was bugged. Hope it works out!

Joined Apr 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Yeah fr, Hope your projects…
Wed, 04/10/2024 - 21:42

Yeah fr, Hope your projects also go well! and this is a little bit of a stretch but uh, if you wanted to chat some more on just projects and stuff, I friended you on discord XD