User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Unable to create fire
Mon, 08/21/2017 - 04:12 (edited)

I have been trying for a while to find a way to create a decorative version of fire that wouldn't spread or burn players or mobs. I had hoped to also make recolored versions of it so that players could have a rainbow of fire to play with by dying the decorative flame "block" with various dyes.

I've gotten the blocks to create, I've gotten the recipies to work. I've gotten the flames to animate on the standard "block" and "cross (x)" shapes.

Unfortunately, I can not for the life of me get the program to properly load the vanilia fire json file. It doesn't load any texture or shape.

http://imgur.com/a/kBqiE

Picture above shows the default fire on the left, the animated texture "block" fire in the middle, and the "failed to load but still casts a shadow" Json model with fire particles on the right.

I use "custom" in the render type window and loaded up a copy of the fire.json from the .jar but it doesn't seem to work.

I have noticed that the texture for the fire itself is a long strip instead of a 16x16 one, and I wonder if that isn't part of the problem. I also noticed that the "block" of fire takes more than a standar block of hieght and uses two types of textures instead of the usual one.

I would love some help on the matter there.

I am pretty new to modding like this though, so please keep that in mind I am probably pretty dumb about more advanced things.

Edited by dragonmatt5 on Mon, 08/21/2017 - 04:12
Last seen on 08:53, 27. Aug 2017
Joined Aug 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
RE:For whatever reason, you have
Mon, 08/21/2017 - 22:26

@#7 Same issue even when did capitalization correctly.

http://imgur.com/a/u2Z5r

Last seen on 17:17, 10. Jan 2024
Joined Aug 2013
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Oh, I see why. One of the
Mon, 08/21/2017 - 22:34

Oh, I see why. One of the updates between version I am using and that one that you are using cleared imports so it added just these that it really needed. However, I would say that have done it too drastically.
So just add this import:
import net.minecraft.block.BlockFire;

Joined Aug 2013
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I have almost forgotten:You
Mon, 08/21/2017 - 22:52

I have almost forgotten:
You have to override updateTick() so it actually does not do any damage to blocks.
Use:
public void updateTick(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, Random rand)
 {

}

Joined Aug 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
RE:Oh, I see why. One of the
Mon, 08/21/2017 - 22:59

@#8 Thank you so much for all this help.

Down to one error now instead of the list.

http://imgur.com/a/CrBrz

Deleting that line seems to gotten all the errors fixed.

----------------

But it doesn't show up textured in game, and it also carries with it a few problems, such as burning out like fire itself does unless placed on netherrock.

http://imgur.com/a/I6Rfl

The text shows while holding it (see hand and toolbar in pic), but placed it doesn't load it. Placed beside the made Dcraft-made models of other flames so far.

Joined Aug 2013
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Yes, that was the line I
Mon, 08/21/2017 - 23:15

Yes, that was the line I already mentioned to delete few posts ago.
To the model, go to MCreator\user\json\blockstates and open here .json file of your block and replace all it content by https://pastebin.com/sxhpmhF0

Joined Aug 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I can not get the launcher to
Tue, 08/22/2017 - 00:35

I can not get the launcher to load minecraft to even test if it works.

Joined Aug 2013
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Ok, write your whole console
Tue, 08/22/2017 - 00:40

Ok, write your whole console log from when you try to launch it.

Joined Aug 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Ok, been tinkering with it
Tue, 08/22/2017 - 06:48

Ok, been tinkering with it for a while now.

I don't think changing the extend is going to do what I want. For one I can't get a texture to attach to it at all when I can get the test client to load. It also changes the block to taking on all the attributes of the fire block from vanilia, but that includes things I didn't want like firespread behavior, limits on what it can be placed on, and a stange issue where I can't break it without punching and breaking the block underneath it, making no drop.

Essentially what I want is a regular block that just looks like animated fire. So I had hoped to pull the model in and change the texture. The problem is, I don't know the coding to actually pull the vanillia fire model in, let alone being able to reassign the two texure files so it works the same as vanillia.

What makes things worse, I realized that the version of the game I am making the mod for, 1.7.10, uses a far less sophisticated version of the MCreator, to the point that it doesn't even recognize JSON files so the ones I made in BDCraft wont work in that version either.

Joined Aug 2013
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Ok, so just now you mention
Tue, 08/22/2017 - 08:14

Ok, so just now you mention that your Minecraft version is 1.7.10. Do you even realise that that's the actual cause because I thought you are using version somewhere between 1.9 and 1.11.2?

Joined Aug 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
RE:Ok, so just now you mention
Tue, 08/22/2017 - 18:25

@#15 I realized I was using the wrong version of MCreator for where I ultimately intended to use the mod, but I had never gotten it to work properly even with the latest in the test client.

I have all relevant versions of minecraft (1.7.10, 1.10.2, 1.11.2, etc) so I wasn't missing any file there. I just realized that the MCreator version I was using would not make a mod that would work for the 1.7.10 I had planned it for.

When trying to make the mod I was using the most up to date version of MCreator, the 1.7.5 one. It should not have been a factor in why it was not working. It does, however, mean that even if I got it to work there, it would not be backwards compatible with the 1.7.10 server I had planned to use it with

Joined Aug 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Ok, seems I have the same
Fri, 08/25/2017 - 08:58

Ok, seems I have the same problems using the 1.7.3 MCreator. Even when changing the extend BlockFire thing, I am still left with a textureless model in the testing area. What is more, without the JSON files that the 1.7.5 version uses, I don't even have the blockstates file to go into and change by hand.

Looking at the code itself, it does list the texture as singular.

Because it is using a single texture for a model that uses two separate ones, would that cause the texturing itself to not work?

And if so, how would I add a second texture to the code properly when all the examples I know of only use a single one.

Joined Aug 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Ok, found out that changing
Sat, 08/26/2017 - 10:07

Ok, found out that changing the GetRenderType id changes the model ingame without all the attached changes of doing an extend BlockFire would. Still doesn't help with the issues with getting textures to attach properly but seems a step in the right direction.

Only problem with this is that the GetRenderType id for fire crashes the test environment when placed down. Oddly enough, other render id's seem to work fine.

My goal is a regular "block" that just looks like the fire in game model. If anyone knows why the render type wont work for fire specifically, or any other suggestions or help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have gone to using the 1.7.3 version of the program for now.