How to make a addon an existing mod ?

Started by Wertuo on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 16:48, 15. Apr 2023
Joined Apr 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How to make a addon an existing mod ?
Wed, 02/26/2020 - 01:23 (edited)

Hello,
I would like to make an addon to mod ProjectE/ProjectEX.

And so I would like to make crafts with items present in these mods. But I can't figure out how to do it.
I saw that I had to go through OreDict, but not all items have an dict dict so I don't know how to do it.

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by Wertuo on Wed, 02/26/2020 - 01:23
This link actually doesn't…
Sun, 08/22/2021 - 23:11

This link actually doesn't answer the question how to make -crafting- from other mods, @alexisebastian. Since I lately found out how to do it, I will gladly answer.

First - create your crafting recipe fully, just place "placeholder" items where should be ProjectE/ProjectEX items.
Secondly - use "edit code" button on recipe
Thirdly - since recipes are pretty straight-forward, you see that all items you put on recipe are listed as simply "modname:id_of_the_item". Just... rename "placeholder" items into items from your mod. You can check other mods' items by pressing ctrl+h, which enables advanced tooltips during your Minecraft game.

So, for example, if you put magma block as "placeholder" and you want to have item called "project_ex:example_item" instead, just search for "minecraft:magma_block" and replace it with your item ID.

Hope it helps! :D I'm making add-on myself, so I feel how crazy useful this simple trick can be.

Also, @alexisebastian's link is correct, but recipes mentioned there are based on oredictionaries/Tags, which can be less intuitive. But you can also use them - normally (it's especially useful with vanilla Tags such as "planks") or by editing the code (simply creating the Tag and editing .json file, which is - again - just list of item/block/entities IDs which you can set to be -any- ID, including other mods :D)
So these two things mentioned here can create ultimate add-on/compatibility features, enabling you to edit a lot of features of other's mods.