User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
[Tutorial] Easy Animated Textures For Items And Blocks
Mon, 06/15/2020 - 16:12 (edited)

If you've ever wanted an item that looks like it pulses, vibes, or changes color in your hand/inventory, then this tutorial will give you a easy way right through it. Some users may not even know this is possible, but it is extremely easy. Note: you can animate the object whatever you want, this is just an example. First, make a texture. For example, I made a diamond like looking item with a wave of white (using the opacity tool... very important) running through it. Here's how I did it:

Step 1: I set the eraser opacity and the pencil opacity at the same level, which was 12 for me. (Unless you use the other method that I explain later)

Step 2: I drew a new wave of white through it.

Step 3: I clicked the "Save as a new texture" button, instead of the "save texture" button. This saves it as a new texture, making you able to come right back and edit for the next frame of the animated object. (Another possibly easier way to do this is to press "undo" after saving each texture, undoing what you had just done, and drawing a new line. This can be easier in some cases.)

Step 4: I repeated the "draw & erase" process, making 10 frames.

Step 5: On the top left of the window inside Mcreator, there is a "create animated texture" button. It looks like a movie film piece. If you click that, it will bring up this thing that includes an option for "add frame" or add frames from animated strip. You can also use a gif if you so wish. 

Step 6: I clicked "add frame" and searched inside my file; mod folder => src => main => resources => assets => mod name folder => textures => items (in this case it could be different if you are making a block. Note: this is my computer, it may be different for you, but I doubt it, since all your mod folders should have a "src" folder to my knowledge.) => desired texture => double click to add into the animated maker. 

Steps 7: I entered all of the textures (frames) into the animated maker, making sure that I didn't miss any of them. Sometimes I'd add a lot of the original frames (first texture) so that it wouldn't animate all the time, and there'd be time in between the pulses etc.

Step 8: I set my "duration of one frame" (located on the top right) to 1. (since that's what I wanted my animation speed to be. 2 is default)

Step 9: I Saved it. In the texture selector, it will appear to be a weird mash of textures, but in-game is looks normal except it animates.

Step 10: I tested it. You need to make sure that it works correctly. If it doesn't report your problem in the comments and I will try to guide you through the problem.

So there's all there is to it! Easy animated textures, possibly making your awesome mod even better. Let me know if you have any issues ;)

Edited by FanelLore on Mon, 06/15/2020 - 16:12
Last seen on 03:10, 19. Feb 2022
Joined Jun 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
you should put [TUTORIAL] in…
Tue, 06/09/2020 - 00:45

you should put [TUTORIAL] in your title to make it obvious that it is a tutorial.

Last seen on 16:05, 13. May 2021
Joined Feb 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Good idea ;)  
Tue, 06/09/2020 - 00:56

Good idea ;)

Last seen on 14:59, 24. Jun 2020
Joined Jun 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
hey bro, whenever i try and…
Tue, 06/23/2020 - 15:10

hey bro, whenever i try and make a block, its just solid red..

Last seen on 16:05, 13. May 2021
Joined Feb 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
And I'm assuming that you…
Tue, 06/23/2020 - 21:05

And I'm assuming that you don't have the texture itself completely red?

Each frame must have at least some tiny difference for it to do anything. 

Last seen on 01:26, 5. Jan 2023
Joined Mar 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
um, it don't work for me. I…
Tue, 06/15/2021 - 20:10

um, it don't work for me. I tried it, but in game it's just the mashed-up picture. I'm working on a glowing animated item.

Last seen on 21:44, 29. Feb 2024
Joined Jul 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Yeah me too  
Sat, 02/17/2024 - 23:03

Yeah me too

Last seen on 21:44, 29. Feb 2024
Joined Jul 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
it looks like this
Sat, 02/17/2024 - 23:10

it looks like this if it's broken for you, here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bpp4bmPBT0XVuqGhuAzNB8lbpGB5db2Q/view?usp=sharing