How to make an underwater biome (tutorial)

Started by TheReallyFatChicken on

Topic category: User side tutorials

Last seen on 22:49, 17. Mar 2021
Joined Jan 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How to make an underwater biome (tutorial)
Thu, 12/17/2020 - 03:16 (edited)

I've seen a lot of people asking about this, and I was wondering too, so after a bit of thinking and testing, I found a strategy that works.

1: Make your biome. Make a biome with the surface and underground blocks gravel (or sand for warm/lukewarm). Set the trees to Vanilla. Set all the "X's per chunk" (trees, flowers, etc.) to 0 (though if you want giant mushrooms, that would look pretty cool, I guess). Then, and this part is important, set the Base Height to a negative number, and the base height variation to something where if you added it to the base height, it would stay negative (e.g., -0.5, with a variation of 0.2).

Important note: for some reason, the biome won't spawn the "surface" block, and will only spawn one layer of the "underground" block. So, for an example of a default cold ocean, the "underground" block would be gravel, which would get one block of gravel on the surface. If you made a custom grass or something, set the underground block to that grass as well, not just the surface block.

2: Make some structures. Launch a world and make structures for kelp (around 15 high), seagrass, and double seagrass (make sure they're waterlogged). Save and import them. Then create structures for each type. Set the number per 1,000,000 chunks to 1,000,000, and then set the grouping min-max to something around 10-16 for the kelp and seagrass, and 3-5 for the double seagrass. Have all the structures spawn in your biome.

3: Test it. Find your biome. If you were correct with the heights for it, it should be completely underwater, and if you were correct with the structures, there should be kelp and seagrass everywhere.

4 (Optional): Add more seagrass/kelp. If you're unsatisfied with the amount of seagrass and kelp currently in your biome, duplicate the structure you want more of, call it something like "second_X" (X being the name of the first structure), and keep all of the settings the same. This will double the amount of that plant. (E.g, in my mod Brine, the Kelp Cliffs have a lot of kelp, so there are three structures for it).

Thanks for reading, I hope this helped!

Note: also set its parent to Ocean, variants of Ocean, and/or Beach/Stone Shore.

Please note that the kelp generation of this is quite different than Vanilla kelp generation. This pretty much just sticks kelp wherever randomly, whereas with Vanilla, each chunk has a 1/18 chance to generate a tightly-packed group of kelp. It shouldn't matter too much, and will behave fine, but just keep in mind it'll be uglier than Vanilla kelp generation.

Edit: people have complained about not being able to set biome heights to negative numbers. You can, it's just that the arrow buttons don't do that so you have to type it.

Edited by TheReallyFatChicken on Thu, 12/17/2020 - 03:16
Last seen on 22:44, 26. May 2021
Joined Aug 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Hello! I managed to make the…
Fri, 08/21/2020 - 22:11

Hello! I managed to make the biome spawn underwater, but it isn't spawning gravel on the surface, just stone and ores. I have the ground block set to gravel but it is still not working. I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me how to fix this.

Joined Jan 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
For some reason, the…
Wed, 08/26/2020 - 19:27

For some reason, the underwater biomes don't spawn the "surface" block, only one layer of the "underground" block, so set gravel to be the underground block as well.

Joined Jan 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Thanks! That really means a…
Tue, 09/01/2020 - 16:12

Thanks! That really means a lot coming from you!

Last seen on 12:31, 22. Jan 2024
Joined Jul 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I'm not allowed to set the…
Fri, 10/16/2020 - 21:12

I'm not allowed to set the biome height negative

also, how do I make an ocean biome with a fluid that isn't the base fluid of the dimension?

for example, a lava ocean in the overworld

Joined Jan 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
You can't make the height…
Sun, 10/18/2020 - 19:15

You can't make the height variation negative, make the base height negative. And you can't change the liquid used, as far as I'm aware, as it simply realizes it's below that dimension's water level, and so will put in said dimension's fluid until it's up to that water level.

Joined Jul 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
thanks, but I found out how…
Tue, 10/20/2020 - 22:49

thanks, but I found out how to do it

it requires code :(
neither the height variation nor the base height can be set to negative, so now you have to do it in code by altering the "depth" parameter

Last seen on 17:11, 27. Dec 2020
Joined Oct 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Thanks for inspiration
Mon, 12/14/2020 - 13:35

Thanks for inspiration

Joined Jan 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
BJC the mooshroom man is…
Thu, 12/17/2020 - 03:15

BJC the mooshroom man is correct. I rarely even use the buttons, I always just type it.

Joined Jul 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
yeah, I noticed it works in…
Thu, 12/17/2020 - 23:26

yeah, I noticed it works in 2020.5

the base height should be pretty low, but I don't know the exact number

Last seen on 15:38, 4. Nov 2023
Joined Dec 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Is there a way to replace…
Sat, 01/16/2021 - 18:36

Is there a way to replace the water with a custom liquid.

Last seen on 15:38, 4. Nov 2023
Joined Dec 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
how do i delete my comment?
Sat, 01/16/2021 - 18:37

how do i delete my comment?

Last seen on 03:52, 31. Dec 2022
Joined Apr 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Hello! I made an ocean biome…
Fri, 02/05/2021 - 04:50

Hello! I made an ocean biome, but when the game tries to generate it, the game crashes. If anyone has a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.