How to make an underwater biome (tutorial)

Started by TheReallyFatChicken on

Topic category: User side tutorials

Last seen on 22:49, 17. Mar 2021
Joined Jan 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How to make an underwater biome (tutorial)
Thu, 12/17/2020 - 03:16 (edited)

I've seen a lot of people asking about this, and I was wondering too, so after a bit of thinking and testing, I found a strategy that works.

1: Make your biome. Make a biome with the surface and underground blocks gravel (or sand for warm/lukewarm). Set the trees to Vanilla. Set all the "X's per chunk" (trees, flowers, etc.) to 0 (though if you want giant mushrooms, that would look pretty cool, I guess). Then, and this part is important, set the Base Height to a negative number, and the base height variation to something where if you added it to the base height, it would stay negative (e.g., -0.5, with a variation of 0.2).

Important note: for some reason, the biome won't spawn the "surface" block, and will only spawn one layer of the "underground" block. So, for an example of a default cold ocean, the "underground" block would be gravel, which would get one block of gravel on the surface. If you made a custom grass or something, set the underground block to that grass as well, not just the surface block.

2: Make some structures. Launch a world and make structures for kelp (around 15 high), seagrass, and double seagrass (make sure they're waterlogged). Save and import them. Then create structures for each type. Set the number per 1,000,000 chunks to 1,000,000, and then set the grouping min-max to something around 10-16 for the kelp and seagrass, and 3-5 for the double seagrass. Have all the structures spawn in your biome.

3: Test it. Find your biome. If you were correct with the heights for it, it should be completely underwater, and if you were correct with the structures, there should be kelp and seagrass everywhere.

4 (Optional): Add more seagrass/kelp. If you're unsatisfied with the amount of seagrass and kelp currently in your biome, duplicate the structure you want more of, call it something like "second_X" (X being the name of the first structure), and keep all of the settings the same. This will double the amount of that plant. (E.g, in my mod Brine, the Kelp Cliffs have a lot of kelp, so there are three structures for it).

Thanks for reading, I hope this helped!

Note: also set its parent to Ocean, variants of Ocean, and/or Beach/Stone Shore.

Please note that the kelp generation of this is quite different than Vanilla kelp generation. This pretty much just sticks kelp wherever randomly, whereas with Vanilla, each chunk has a 1/18 chance to generate a tightly-packed group of kelp. It shouldn't matter too much, and will behave fine, but just keep in mind it'll be uglier than Vanilla kelp generation.

Edit: people have complained about not being able to set biome heights to negative numbers. You can, it's just that the arrow buttons don't do that so you have to type it.

Edited by TheReallyFatChicken on Thu, 12/17/2020 - 03:16
Last seen on 16:24, 15. May 2021
Joined May 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
hey i am making a new biome…
Fri, 05/14/2021 - 23:05

hey i am making a new biome for my troll mod and it is all water not pee only the islands are pee

Last seen on 10:06, 16. Sep 2022
Joined May 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Thanks this a nice tutorial! 
Sat, 05/15/2021 - 04:22

Thanks this a nice tutorial! 

Last seen on 00:46, 1. Aug 2023
Joined Dec 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
if u want a ocean that…
Sat, 10/02/2021 - 01:59

if u want a ocean that mimics the overworlds in another dimension u need to make it connected to a beach and make the beach rare while the ocean is equal to your most common biome. then throw a deep ocean in there then u are good to add the other ocean biomes just connect them to your dimension ocean biome.

Last seen on 19:37, 29. Oct 2021
Joined Sep 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I made custom kelp…
Wed, 10/06/2021 - 14:39

I made custom kelp structures (15 Blocks high) to generate kelp in my biome, but because the kelp is waterlogged, the kelp is at beaches higher then the water than the water level, so that there are springs with kelp at the beaches...
How to make a additional generation condition for the strukture, wich says that the structure isn't spawning above Y=47?

Last seen on 21:28, 9. Oct 2021
Joined Oct 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
hi im tiky. can i please…
Sat, 10/09/2021 - 21:18

hi im tiky. can i please have a tutorial about how to use this site? because i'm kinda new.

Last seen on 15:51, 16. Jan 2024
Joined Feb 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How do I use a custom fluid?
Mon, 11/15/2021 - 21:02

How do I use a custom fluid?

Last seen on 16:34, 1. Jan 2024
Joined Jan 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Doesn't work anymore  
Sat, 01/15/2022 - 20:33

Doesn't work anymore

Last seen on 21:25, 20. Apr 2024
Joined Jan 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
the biome doesn't generate…
Sun, 01/29/2023 - 04:49

the biome doesn't generate in the overworld, why is that?

Last seen on 02:25, 23. Mar 2023
Joined Jul 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I'm in the modded biome page…
Wed, 03/15/2023 - 21:57

I'm in the modded biome page right now, and base hight is not a feature anymore. Is there a way to make an ocean now?