How do I make framed blocks (like in blockcarpentry) that take on the texture of a different block when right-clicked?

Started by ben.singer.bs on

Topic category: Help with MCreator software

Last seen on 00:57, 18. May 2021
Joined May 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How do I make framed blocks (like in blockcarpentry) that take on the texture of a different block when right-clicked?

I really love the framed blocks in the blockcarpentry mod (this one, for anyone not familiar: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/blockcarpentry). Holding any block and right-clicking the framed block adds the texture of the block you're holding to the model of the framed block.

It's great for adding new blocks to the game because all I have to do is make a block with my new texture in my mod and then I can combine it with blockcarpentry to turn that block into stairs, walls, fences, etc. without having to make all of those elements individually in mcreator. However, I would really love to be able to apply this concept to other models besides the limited few in blockcarpentry. For example, if I make a .json model of a chair in blockbench, I would love to be able to make a framed block with that model so that I can add the texture of any block to it in minecraft and have a chair of any texture, rather than having to individually make an element in mcreator for every different texture I want of that chair. 

So my question is, does anybody know how I would make a framed block in mcreator with a .json model I made myself?

Last seen on 23:12, 13. Aug 2023
Joined Nov 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
This would be very hard to…
Thu, 05/13/2021 - 13:33

This would be very hard to do with mcreator considering you cant grab textures from the minecraft file with mcreator. you would have to copy and paste every singe block texture into mcreator and then make a new block for each of those textures, and it wouldn't even work with modded blocks. his would be much easier to do with actual coding.

Joined May 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I have already created…
Thu, 05/13/2021 - 23:22

I have already created blocks in mcreator for all the textures I want to be able to apply to my own models (it's not really vanilla textures I want to do this with, but my own original textures). Would you be able to give me any pointers on how I would go about doing this now that I have already created the blocks?

Last seen on 17:59, 7. Jan 2024
Joined Jul 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
have it open, and…
Fri, 05/14/2021 - 20:16

have it open, and immediately close, a blank GUI. when this gui activates you can use it to check the item in hand, remove one and replace the block with the correct block.

Joined May 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I can’t replace one block…
Fri, 05/14/2021 - 20:23

I can’t replace one block with another, I have to replace textures within one block. Because I want to make a bunch of models and a bunch of textures and then be able to apply every texture to every model without having to make a block in mcreator for every possible combination of model and texture. That would be thousands and thousands of possible blocks and would take me forever. Plus, if I made those blocks then I wouldn’t need framed blocks at all, I would already have all the blocks I need.

Last seen on 17:59, 7. Jan 2024
Joined Jul 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
you cant do that, you have…
Fri, 05/14/2021 - 21:00

you cant do that, you have to completely replace the block for this to work (atleast right now) unless you want to write some very advanced code using custom element.

Joined May 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I’ve actually seen a couple…
Fri, 05/14/2021 - 21:46

I’ve actually seen a couple people saying they’ve done this through mcreator, they just haven’t responded to my comments yet asking how. So apparently it is possible. If anybody knows how, please let me know, but if you’re just going to say it isn’t possible because you don’t personally know how to do it, that’s not super helpful to me. (I don’t mean for that to come across as rude, btw, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.)