Joined Jul 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
If I donate....?

If I donate $1000 to Mcreator right now, what is the promise in a release date for 1.18.x? What would the difference be in terms of production time and management?

Last seen on 22:34, 11. Feb 2023
Joined Dec 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
90 minutes difference
Sun, 01/23/2022 - 22:05

90 minutes difference

1000$? I can't answer for…
Mon, 01/24/2022 - 00:56

1000$? I can't answer for Klemen. However, as I'm a major contributor, I think I can partially answer your question.
We can't promise you we will be able to release the snapshot in a few days or not because we still need to get something before making biomes/dimensions. However, this thing has to be added by Forge and as long as they don't merge it, we can't finish biomes and dimensions (due to a major change in the creation of biomes and dimensions). However, even if it will maybe not help to release the first 1.18 snapshot sooner, it will still help a lot Klemen to dedicate more time to MCreator, so he can work a bit more on other 1.18 features (even if contributors are helping him), review pull requests of contributors (like me) or even work on other features for the software. I can't tell you exactly how Klemen uses donations, but I know no matter what, he reinvests all donations he gets into MCreator, like costs of the server(s) or dedicate more time to the development of MCreator.

Also, to make clear something, all the money goes to money. Contributors, even major ones such as SomeoneElse or me, don't get a part of this money. We are all contributing in our free time because we want it. There is only Klemen (and maybe Matej, as he's his brother) that gets this money.

Also, to make clear…
Mon, 01/24/2022 - 00:58

Also, to make clear something, all the money goes to money.

All the money goes to Klemen ;)

Sorry

From what I understand the…
Mon, 01/24/2022 - 04:02

From what I understand the money goes back into the website for making sure the site is payed for for the domain name and web server, it also may go to Klemen and Matej the founders what is left over or put into savings to ensure the site and the community can be around for a long time. As far as development speed I don't think this really has much impact on how fast a release is done overall, however 1.18 is coming and far as I can tell its getting close for release but there is still a few things for the founders and contributors to port. So donating $1000 would not really impact the speed but it would help ensure that the site and its content is around for a long time.

We can not give release…
Mon, 01/24/2022 - 08:07

We can not give release dates as we also depend on Forge and other projects to update their systems to fully support 1.18. Also, all contributors work on this in their free time and are not forced to do any code and can freely leave at any time so we don't have like a dedicated work plan with assignments like some corporate may have (even though keep in mind Minecraft doesn't usually have release dates either).

Regarding the donation, I think 1000$ is a bit too much, usually we get 5-20$ a few times a month hehe. Also, keep in mind, donations are not binding and I can (legally) not promise anything in exchange directly, donations indirectly help, but we can't do deals like if I donate X, you will do Y.

To clear up regarding the spend of donations, money goes towards website maintenance, servers, certificate fees, sometimes promotions on social networks, equipment, and to make me able to work on MCreator. I have bills to pay and my day job is flexible enough that I can stretch more or less time to MCreator depending on the amount of income I have from MCreator.