Joined Apr 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Publishing Student Content to MCreator Site

I have a question for the moderators in charge of accepting or denying mod submissions,

I'm running an afterschool minecraft modding course in a few months.
Each of the 20+ kids will make their own Minecraft mod (in MCreator!) complete with their own custom 3d modeled minecraft pet, a structure they designed, a music disc that they recorded a song for, and a lucky block they coded to do all sorts of crazy effects.
At the end, I really want them to be able to upload their mods somewhere so that they can download them and play with their friends at home.
I'll ensure that they take good F1 screenshots and write a valid description for each mod but I can't speak to the actual quality of each child's work.

• Would it be okay for each of them to post their mod on the site all at once?
  • Would it be better or worse if it was all posted to the same account?
  • Could I upload all 20 Jar files into a single post or something?
  • What can I do to prevent their work from being flagged and taken down?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you.

Hi! In the contrary of…
Fri, 07/08/2022 - 02:38

Hi!
In the contrary of MCreator plugins, all mods are published at the moment the user posts them, so the role of moderators is to make sure mods follow the guidelines of the website. They are accessible to everyone on our Wiki on this page. The main problem published mods, without spam mods, is the low quality of mod pages and/or the mod itself. What we mean by a low quality mod on this website is often a mod called an "ore pack", meaning the mod simply adds a new ore with tools, armors and sometimes a biome/dimension. It can also be a mod adding basic mods, such as a /gmc, /gms, etc. You can have more example of low quality mods on the page I linked above. However, from what I understand of the description you wrote of modw they will make, they will have spent enough time and efforts into their mod(s) to be accepted. So do not worry about this :)

The other problem of mods we unpublish is the spent time on writting the mod page. The mod page does not describe enough time, write just a bit about the mod such as a small list of features and then, they fill the rest with blank spaces or random characters to meet the required 300 characters. If they write something that allow everyone else to understand what the mod adds, the description is good enough. If they think their description is still not good enough, they can add more pictures of their mod and/or draw custom pictures to separate each section of ther description.

A small, but important thing to note is to be sure they write their description in English, so we can actually understand it and moderate it correctly. If they are not able to write it in English directly, they can use Google Translate, Reverso or another translator. This is totally fine and we do not mind about this. We know not everyone is a fluent English speaker (and even myself I had to use Google Translate to understand MCreator when I began😅), and our objective is to help people with the learning process. If they write their mod in English, but they are not sure of their grammar, they can use a tool called "Grammarly". They have a free version of their software and web browser extension, but it already helps a lot for basic things of writting.

The last point about mod pages are pictures, mainly the first picture, also called the mod's logo. Even if all other pictures are fine, if this specific picture does not meet the minimal requirements (listed on the same linked page above), we will have to unpublish the mod. It is not mandatory to be a custom image (even if it improves a lot the attraction and the description in general). They can simply take a screenshot of a few elements of their mod, as long as it represents the mod.

Concerning the upload of the mod, everything depends on the user. The only thing is to have one mod for each mod page. If they want to continue it in the future, they should create an account (or use their account if they already have one). However, if they do not want to continue it, you can upload each mod on your account.

If you or your students need help with the software, the software or even some elements about Minecraft, you can check our Wiki. We have a lot of documentation and we try to keep it up-to-date. The community also makes a lot of tutorials on Youtube and you can access to the best tutorials (English only) on different playlist on Pylo's Youtube channel here. One of the Wiki contributor is the major contributor to those video tutorials and he explains very well. If they understand English and need help with something in particular (even making a specific thing), they should defenetively check them.

I hope it answered to your questions. If you have more, feel free to ask them here or on another topic.

Have a nice day and modding class!

P-S: If your class is open to everyone, you can contact Pylo (Klemen and Matej, the maintainersof MCreator), so they can promote it on their social medias.

Last seen on 22:42, 8. Jul 2022
Joined Apr 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Thank you so so so much for…
Fri, 07/08/2022 - 22:37

Thank you so so so much for your extremely thorough answers to my concerns. 

In my presentation I'll guide them to take quality screenshots of their features and create a suitable 300 word description of their mods. Almost all of them speak fluent english so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll go through all of the publishing guidelines to make sure I give them good instructions.

Much appreciated!

You are welcome! :)   By the…
Sat, 07/09/2022 - 00:49

You are welcome! :)

By the way, it's 300 characters, not 300 words. If they could survive to your class, it would be nice 😆