Difficulties with creating an effective hostile flying entity - too slow, gets "stuck" on ground blocks, etc.

Started by Chalexty on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 03:33, 23. Aug 2022
Joined Dec 2016
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Difficulties with creating an effective hostile flying entity - too slow, gets "stuck" on ground blocks, etc.

I recently updated my MCreator build to 2022.2 (from 2021.3), along with moving the version to 1.18.2 from 1.17.2, and I've been having trouble with getting my flying entities to work properly. In the previous version, flying entities (or at least the one I was using) could actually "walk" on land when they approached it. (They had the walking AI goal, though I'm not entirely sure if it had any effect - this allowed the entity to run on blocks when they were on top of it, which is preferred) It appears that, for whatever reason, flying mobs in this newer version do not do this and instead get stuck on ground blocks, moving extremely slowly (even slower than flying speed normally is) which therefore causes the entity to have a lot of difficulty actually catching up to any other entity it is attacking. I've found out that this can be mildly mitigated with the "Leap at target" goal, but the entity should be able to attack other entities besides the player as well, and for whatever reason the entity still gets stuck without leaping at all in these situations. 

This wouldn't matter as much if the entity was, of course, faster, as it moves very slowly at the moment, but from what I heard flying entities have a speed cap and it's almost impossible to make them move quicker horizontally than they currently do. I'm seriously looking for some sort of solution here, so if you know anything more about Minecraft's docs than I do (which is really not that much) please let me know. Thanks!