Joined Mar 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How to Create custom armor models in Blockbench

In this tutorial I will explain how to get a Blockbench model to a working MCreator model in Minecraft.  I will NOT teach or guide you how to model it or use Blockbench, nor will I explain how to fully use MCreator.  If there is an "X" anywhere, it means thats where you put your identifier, file name, etc.  If you want screenshots, I will add some, but I am currently unable to make a YouTube video.  

The first step is to open blockbench and install the "GeckoLib Animation Utils" plugin.  Then, create a new GeckoLib Animated Model, select a file name and model identifier.  Then, select ox UV and I reccomend a 32x32 texture or a 64x64 one.  You will NOT texture the model untill a later step.  Then hit confirm, then go to File>GeckoLib Model Settings>Object Type: Armor>Confirm.  This will create a bunch of folders and import a biped into the viewfinder.  If you don't know how/what to model, please don't ask for support for that here.  Make sure when modeling the head, to set all the cubes in "armorHead" and same goes for the other body parts (ie, body, arms, legs, boots).  When you are FULLY finished with your model, drag all the "armorX" groups into the main root folder in Blockbench.  Then delete all the "bipedX" and "dontTouch" items.  This will leave you with "armorHead," armorBody," armorLeftArm," "armorRightArm," "armorLeftLeg," "armorRightLeg," "armorLeftBoot," and finally "armorRightBoot."  I reccomend doing them in that exact order to simplify the MCreator steps.  Now, make sure "armorHead" and "armorBody" pivot points are set to 0, 24, 0.  The "armorRightArm" should have a pivot point of 4, 22, 0 and the "armorLeftArm" should be set to -4, 22, 0.  The "armorRightLeg" and "armorRightBoot" should be set to -2, 12, 0, with the other two ("armorLeftLeg" and "armorLeftBoot") having a pivot point of 2, 12, 0.  Then, go to FIle>Convert Project>Modded Entity (create copy is your choice)>Confirm.  Now, feel free to texture your armor, and save the .png and the .bbmodel somewhere.  Then go to File>Export>Export Java Entity.  Save the .java file to the same location as the other armor files.  This now gives you a model texture, a Blockbench file, and the armor file.  Now, in your file browser of choice, open the location of the files, and duplicate the texture.  Rename it to "X_layer_1."  Duplicate this file, and name it "X_layer_2."  Now you have three identical textures, with different names.  We are now ready for the MCreator steps!

Open MCreator (I reccomend 2023.1 for best results) and create a new workspace if you need.  Forge 1.19.2 is best.  On the left vertical bar in MCreator, select "Resources".  It should open to the "Texture Files" window.  Hit "Import Textures," then entity texture, and select your armor texture WITHOUT the "X_layer_1/2" and hit open.  Next, hit "Import Textures>Import Armor Texture.." and select "X_layer_1" for "Layer 1:" and "X_layer_2" for "Layer 2:".  Then, under "WORKSPACE" click "3D models and texture mappings" click "Import Java 3D Model" and select your "X.java" file of your armor.  For animations, they aren't neccisary but you may if you wish.  If you set animations, click "Set New"; otherwise click "Keep Current Animations."  Make sure it imports.  Now, go back to the "Mod Elements" tab on the left, click the add button, and add armor.  Enter a name, click "Create new armor," and it will open a new window.  First, uncheck/check armor elements you made so you include/exclude items.  ie, if you only made a hat, you'd uncheck the "Armor body," "Armor leggings," and "Armor boots."  Change "In-game helmet name:" to whatever you want, and finally, click "Advanced X settings [Click to expand]."  Once you do this, it will open a crazy menu, but don't worry, it's quite simple.  For "Model:" select your "X.java" file, and set the box to the right of it to "armorX."  Here, the X relates to which piece you are adding.  For a helmet, pick "armorHead."  For a chestplate, select "armorBody," and for "arms L" and "arms R" select the respective armor piece.  Then, under "Armor texture," select your "X.png" texture for each element you've enabled.  Then click the "Properties" tab on the bottom, and select "X.png" for "Armor layer texture" in this menu.  Hit "Save mod element," and wait for Gradle to compile.  Your armor should work in-game now, and pivot correctly with all the correct textures!  If not, reply here, or throw me a DM on Discord @ Slasher6157#5634.  Hope this helped someone!

Last seen on 08:19, 10. Apr 2023
Joined Apr 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Thanks for your tutorial…
Wed, 04/05/2023 - 18:26

Thanks for your tutorial. But I have a question, i would not like to use an entity model(.java) because it has only a box-UV and it's bad for me. Maybe you know how to use gecko model(.geo.json) to make a 3d armor?

Last seen on 20:10, 6. Apr 2024
Joined Mar 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Worked
Sun, 02/25/2024 - 04:54

Worked