Please stop MCreator deleting files it doesn't recognise. I lost an entire mod to this.

Started by Odahviing on

Topic category: Feature requests and ideas for MCreator

Last seen on 21:12, 14. Jul 2023
Joined Jan 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Please stop MCreator deleting files it doesn't recognise. I lost an entire mod to this.

Half rant, half "please fix this glaring issue" post.

I'm an advanced modder who codes in Eclipse, but I like to use MCreator for workspace setup, compiling, etc. because it's far less finicky than manually setting up a Forge workspace - not to mention I can create mod elements and view their code to get ideas for how to do X thing.

I've been working on a mod using said method for about 2+ weeks. The mod in question is an overhaul to various vanilla mechanics - so naturally it's very complex, involving mixins, reflection, etc. - and I chose to wrote those things in Eclipse. This involved adding a few extra classes to the code.

Now, I recently updated MCreator to the new release - and upon updating, it chose to rebuild my workspace - which is fine, except...

MCreator chose to delete every single class that isn't something I created as a mod element.

My hours and hours of writing code is gone.

I'm not trying to harass anybody for the program doing this - but why, when MCreator encounters files within the mod it doesn't recognise, does it just straight up delete them? I have no way to recover that code. MCreator just yeeted the entire class files out of existence. I even have the base mod files locked, so MCreator shouldn't be doing much of anything except compiling the mod.

There is literally no good reason that MCreator should work this way. If someone buggers up their code by somehow adding more classes, I suppose you could add a cleanup button for them - but please, please, why can't the program just ignore class files that don't have mod elements? Or move them somewhere else? Or bring up a window about it? Why just trash them?

Rant over.

Last seen on 16:32, 25. Apr 2024
Joined Jul 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Simple solution: put your…
Wed, 04/26/2023 - 23:31

Simple solution: put your classes under a different package. MCreator does not delete classes outside of the package it generates.