Joined Jul 2015
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
User Interface Overhaul

I would like to suggest an overhaul for the MCreator's GUI for the upcoming 2.0 release.

As MCreator is now, despite recent improvements, there remains a key weakness to the GUI: The Mod Element window gets cluttered insanely quickly. The new option to reduce the size of the element icons helps, but it ignores the fact that we have no way to sort mod elements, at all. We can't even filter them by category. MCreator will always display all mod elements in the order they were created in, and it will always display all of them. The search tool doesn't mitigate this problem at all, either. You have to already know the name of the mod element you are searching for.

My suggestion: Rework the GUI for mod elements to look something like GameMaker Studio's. All mod elements would be displayed on the side of the program's window, sorted by category (block, item, food, plant, dimension, etc). Each category can then be further divided with user-created and user-named folders. The rest of the window would then be used for displaying and editing the selected mod element.

Here's a link to an image of GameMaker Studio's GUI (not embedded in the post because the image is huge): https://i2.wp.com/csanyk.com/rants/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/GMS2_IDE…

To be clear, I'm not advocating changing the entire program to follow GM:S. There are a few things in MCreator's GUI, like the top bar with the tabs and the export button, that I would miss greatly should they be moved or removed. I'm suggesting a change in the way the workspace's contents are displayed, and that's it. GameMaker Studio happens to have a system that I believe would work wonders in solving the Clutter Problem.

We will consider and plan to…
Thu, 09/13/2018 - 11:38

We will consider and plan to improve the workspace view quite a lot in 2.x.x. Thank you for the suggestions!