User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
[Tutorial] MCreator Plugins Development 1 - Development Tips
Mon, 06/29/2020 - 09:21 (edited)

Hi there :D This is my second tutorial on how to make MCreator plugins.

Before we start

If you want to learn how to set up the plugin development environment, this tutorial might help. To follow these tutorials, you must have some basic knowledge of JSON as well as Google's "Blocky" visual programming system that MCreator utilizes to make the procedure system possible. Reading this page is strongly recommended for learning the creation of new procedure blocks. Of course, Java knowledge is also required.

Tips on coding:

1. Fixing bugs is more important than adding content.

2. You can import an MCreator workspace in another IDE if you can't stand MCreator's code editor. It won't affect your workspace.

3. You should know how to code a feature in Java before attempting to implement it in the form of MCreator plugins.

Tips on testing:

1. You can put your plugin development directory directly in .mcreator/plugins, so you won't need to move your plugin every time you want to test it.

2. Always try to test different combinations of features to ensure that your content works in every scenario.

3. You can directly access Procedure code to ensure that it works by selecting the procedure element(left-clicking on it once) and clicking the button with the lines and the pencil.

Tips on brainstorming:

1. Try to come up with original ideas. Do some research on whether your idea was done before or not.

2. Think of the utility of your idea. Will this API be useful? Will this global trigger open new possibilities? WIll this procedure block simplify tedious tasks? 

3. Do some research on how to implement your idea. I suggest searching on the forge forums or asking for help at the forge discord

Aaaaand.... that's it! Not so complicated after all, huh :D

Previous tutorial: https://mcreator.net/forum/62194/tutorial-plugin-development-tutorial-part-0-setting-your-development-environment

Next tutorial: <To be written>

Tutorial Index: <To be written>

Edited by crispy_chips1234 on Mon, 06/29/2020 - 09:21
Last seen on 03:10, 19. Feb 2022
Joined Jun 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I updated this page with…