1.15.2 - Editing Player Model?

Started by Jusey1 on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 01:41, 26. Apr 2023
Joined Jun 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
1.15.2 - Editing Player Model?

Okay, so some background: I actually done modding work before for Minecraft but back in 1.2.5 version of the game where I did figure out how to edit models of existing mobs and even remember using a program to have a full visual of the model so I can easily modify it and do it.. But then I forgot about the game, and only got it again on Java Edition on version 1.12.2... And now that most of my mods are updating to 1.15.2, I am getting ready to do so myself.

I have one problem. My favorite skin to use in Minecraft is an Argonian skin from the Skyrim Mash-up pack for Bedrock Edition. Now, I am using it in 1.12.2 successfully thanks to the help with "More Player Models" but that mod looks dead and there is no replacement for it. So, I'm trying to make my own replacement (though, very simple and straight to the point). I assume I need to use MCreator to make a script file which does the whole "extend" thing so I don't edit the base player model file directly (I remember Minecraft been doing that since 1.2.5 and Starbound also does that when I was modding it)...

However, I am a bit confused on what to write. I'm not the best at scripting but am a quick learner if I have an example to work off of. I also don't see any possible way to make a "new" model in general to add to the script in question. Is there another program for that? I was thinking of using "Blockbench" for that part but it looks like that program is only for Bedrock Edition (I could be wrong so I am gonna check it out after posting this)...

Anyways, any experienced modelers who can give me an example file to look at or advice? I would appreciate it. I'm only looking to basically add a tail and snout to the player model for right now. Might do more extend class files to change the damage and health numbers of certain vanilla mobs but that will be even easier to do and I'll probably figure that out on my own.

Last seen on 04:35, 17. Jan 2021
Joined Sep 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I can't really understand…
Thu, 06/18/2020 - 02:17

I can't really understand. Do you want help on how to change an entities skin/model? Or do you want modeling help?

I can help you with, "Do you want help on how to change an entities skin/model?".

If you want modeling help, isn't that better suited for the Blockbench discord?

Joined Jun 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Yes, I want help on how to…
Thu, 06/18/2020 - 03:09

Yes, I want help on how to change an entities model. The player entity specifically.

Joined Sep 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Cool! This is not possible…
Thu, 06/18/2020 - 03:12

Cool! This is not possible with MCreator. What knowledge do you know about layers and player rendering?

Also, do you think you will ever want to include other entities because I need to know before we start?

Joined Jun 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I thought it would be…
Thu, 06/18/2020 - 03:32

I thought it would be possible with a extend file? So you don't actually edit the original file, just make a new one which adds in the new stuff to the original file. I generally don't have any knowledge of how to do this. So far, I've only done the Blockbench side. And model wise? No, I only care to edit the player model so I can be the skin I wanna be in 1.15.2.

If you have Discord, we can talk there and I can show you the model stuff I did so far?

Joined Sep 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I thought it would be…
Thu, 06/18/2020 - 03:37

I thought it would be possible with a extend file? So you don't actually edit the original file, just make a new one which adds in the new stuff to the original file.

That's what layers are, you do not need to edit base code.

So far, I've only done the Blockbench side. And model wise? No, I only care to edit the player model so I can be the skin I wanna be in 1.15.2.

That's a good start.

If you have Discord, we can talk there and I can show you the model stuff I did so far?

Yes, it is in my profile.

If resolved, I will update this thread with the working code. For others in case of a similar situation.

Joined Sep 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
This thread has been mostly…
Fri, 06/19/2020 - 22:41

This thread has been mostly resolved!

Mostly Jusey1, and I have created a model that adds a snout and tail to the player. Not only that, but works alongside the player skin 😋!

Tail

Snout

Mirror Links;

https://imgur.com/U8jNDiB

https://imgur.com/ARHW438

Proof of Code;

https://pastebin.com/Q2yqGwZ6

I may do a user tutorial in the future, that will provide explanations for each method. However, I provide example code if you want to do it yourself!

Joined Jun 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Template file for how the…
Fri, 06/19/2020 - 22:53

Argonian Template
Template file for how the model is skinned.

1. Small Dark Grey section on the top left is the little nub block on the top of the model (in between the eyes).

2. Light grey section in the middle of the right is the tail's texture location.

3. The colorful section is the snout with purple being the FRONT, blue is the TOP and dark pink being the BOTTOM of the snout. The yellow are the SIDES of the snout (left is left, right is right). The white section is suppose to be the part of the snout that is against the head, which you cannot see so should left empty. However, this part of the model does overlap with the HAT section, which is in red. So players who aren't using this snout can have a slight issue on their face due to this overlap, so do warn players in advance and layer this template on top of their skin to figure out if their hat layer overlaps or not. Players using the snout will not need to worry about the overlapping since it will be hidden.

Last seen on 00:38, 6. Nov 2022
Joined Oct 2016
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
  could you help me with a…
Thu, 09/10/2020 - 23:43

could you help me with a similar one for 1.12.2 with mcreator 2020.4

Last seen on 06:23, 26. Apr 2024
Joined Mar 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
HI, is it possible to change…
Mon, 04/12/2021 - 13:22

HI, is it possible to change the player model itself and replace it with a mob model?, also, is it possible to add hair to the player(for my dragon ball mod) and that those hairs can change shape and color for Super Saiyan (or make that the current hair is removed and replace it by another hair model, spiky and golden.) 

Last seen on 23:26, 25. Apr 2024
Joined Dec 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I second this, I need it for…
Mon, 04/12/2021 - 15:17

I second this, I need it for my anime mod I'm making.

Last seen on 06:23, 26. Apr 2024
Joined Mar 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Thx I think its a feature…
Mon, 04/12/2021 - 20:54

Thx

I think its a feature that everyone would enjoy.

Last seen on 23:26, 25. Apr 2024
Joined Dec 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Or is there even a tutorial…
Mon, 05/17/2021 - 13:38

Or is there even a tutorial for this that Tbroski said he was going to create? I'm using 1.15.2 as well, and I tried editing the code to fit with my own model but could not figure it out. So many errors! Thanks for any responses, I really need this!