• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
MCreator Redesign Concept (MCToolkit Design Document) - Release 5
Wed, 02/21/2024 - 03:25 (edited)

Release 5 - Feb 20, 2024

Select images are posted below. Please view the images in full screen to see them in full resolution. Scroll to the bottom to see what this is all about.

Release 4

Design file - Released Nov 5, 2023

Release 3

Design file - Released Jan 14, 2023

Release 2

Design file - Released Feb 17, 2022

Introduction

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since my last update, and I'm thrilled to come back to this amazing community. You might recall that some time ago, I shared a few concept designs for a new MCreator UI. Admittedly, those initial designs were a bit bad looking, but your positive feedback and encouragement were incredibly inspiring. That support made me work harder on this project, and I dedicated years to refining and evolving these concepts.

Today, I'm excited to share with you a significant update that marks a major leap forward from those early designs. During this journey, I've meticulously reworked each aspect of the UI, keeping in mind both the aesthetic appeal and functional efficiency. You might notice references to MCToolkit in some of the design elements. This is intentional, as I originally started this concept for a community fork project.

The purpose behind this endeavor has always been clear: to enhance user engagement by making the tool more accessible for beginners, and simultaneously, more efficient for the expert modders. This new UI isn't just looking better (although it is); it's a comprehensive overhaul that also addresses existing problems like misalignment, contrast issues, and confusing features. It breaks away from the outdated look that MCreator had been carrying for years, bringing life into its appearance and UX. MCreator has always received many drastic UI updates over the years, and that is why it's getting ever more popular and alive, so let's keep that going.

As I near the completion of this design phase, my next big step is to ensure that this new UI doesn't just remain a concept. To achieve this, I plan to start a petition for its integration into MCreator. Stay tuned for future updates!

Timeline

Early Wireframing - 2020-2021

Design Process - 2021-2024

Feedback & Discussion - 2024

Petitioning - 2025

Integration - The future

About this design

User-Centric Design for All Levels

• Recognizing that MCreator is often used in beginner STEM workshops, the new UI simplifies the initial learning curve. This includes intuitive navigation, easy access to tools, not overwhelming the average user, and simplified processes that make modding more approachable for newcomers.
  • This new UI also caters to professionals by neatly arranging advanced tools, providing better visuals in complex areas such as the procedure editor, making quality of life changes, and introducing brand new systems such as Dynamics and Instances. This ensures that experienced modders can work efficiently and effectively without feeling constrained. The existing structure of the UI also will not be drastically changed to ensure familiarity.

Overhaul BUT familiar

• The overhaul includes key areas like the workspace, element editor, procedure editor, resource manager, and texture editor. Each of these has been redesigned to enhance user experience and workflow efficiency.
  • A new home screen, along with improved plugin and version management systems, ensures a smoother and more organized approach to modding projects. It’s all in one, so you wouldn’t have to visit the website to get legacy versions, snapshots, updates, or community resources.
  • New aesthetic and functional improvements such as new color schemes, icons, layouts, etc. built from the ground up, not only refreshes the visual appeal but also contributes to a more coherent interface. Each and every screen has been redesigned with a comprehensive, custom standard that is a step up from the current UI in every way.

My Commitment to Improvement

• During the design stage, I promise you with yearly updates, continuous improvement, and adaptation to the latest features & evolving user needs.

Purpose of the New UI

The overarching goals of this new UI are:

• Engagement: The redesign focuses on making MCreator more intuitive and user-friendly, thereby attracting a wider audience. Its improved ease-of-use caters to beginners, ensuring they can get started without feeling overwhelmed, while its efficiency enhancements keep experienced modders productive and satisfied.
  • Continuation: With the potential discontinuation of MCreator on the horizon, this UI overhaul emerges as a necessary evolution. It's an opportunity to put new life into the platform, ensuring its survival.
  • Visuals: The new UI addresses existing design flaws like misalignments and contrast issues, streamlining the visual experience. It's not just about looking better (it is for the most part though); it's about offering a more coherent platform where features are easily understood and navigated.
  • Evolution: Let us please acknowledge that MCreator's appearance has become outdated, the new UI brings a much-needed refresh. This change isn't just cosmetic; it's a continuation of MCreator's decade-long evolution that was always a part of our tradition.

Let us review the past...

The UI of MCreator has constantly improved over the years, and the team working on it has never stopped improving it. Let us go back to 2014, where MCreator started to gain traction.

It was version 1.4, and the UI looked like this:

Then in 1.5, robust systems were added all around, and the UI was improved according to the Metro Design System.

In 1.6, modernizations were introduced, and we begin to see the first echoes of the current UI.

In 1.7-1.8, the new main menu really looked like what it is today.

MCreator 2 was first announced at https://mcreator.net/2, with the promise of revolutionary features and a overhaul of the UI. And they did it.

We plan to make a lot of changes to the UI of MCreator to ease mod creation and to make it more clear and systematic. The whole UI will be more IDE like.

2018-2019

2021-2024

Consistent and radical improvement was the key for MCreator going forward. So let us continue it.

Petitioning for Full Integration

When this design is fully complete, I will start a petition to integrate this into MCreator. Stay tuned on this. The petition and subsequent probable integration of the new UI into MCreator will represent a significant step toward continuing the tool and enhancing its appeal for even more outsiders and insiders. I will therefore aim to set a precedent for how open-source projects can celebrate design change too.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with Pylo, MCToolkit, or the former MCToolkit. All screenshots of past MCreator versions are not my work.

Edited by Shocking Artist on Wed, 02/21/2024 - 03:25
Last seen on 17:16, 16. Mar 2024
Joined May 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
(the image display is pretty…
Thu, 02/24/2022 - 01:07

(the image display is pretty wacky here, the workspace it supposed to fill almost the entire screen)

It evolved a lot since your…
Thu, 02/24/2022 - 01:23

It evolved a lot since your first iteration! This concept is gorgeous. If we make it (and Klemen accepts), it would bring a real freshness to MCreator. However, it would require a lot of time to change the entire UI and it would be pretty hard. Beginners would surely be a bit lost, so I'm not sure Klemen will change the UI for this concept as it will also take us the time we could use to add more features. Maybe if everyone spams Matej and him, they will change their mind. xD

Last seen on 17:07, 18. Mar 2024
Joined Apr 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
This looks very, very cool,…
Thu, 02/24/2022 - 07:15

This looks very, very cool, can you pls add this theme / design to Mcreator 2022.1 and/or 2023.1?

Last seen on 17:07, 18. Mar 2024
Joined Apr 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
How can I download this?
Thu, 02/24/2022 - 07:22

How can I download this?

Last seen on 19:30, 16. Mar 2024
Joined Sep 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
This style gives me…
Thu, 02/24/2022 - 07:32

This style gives me modernity vibes, well done! I remember when this was only an idea and now his development grows quickly and better

Joined May 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Thanks all! and yes …
Thu, 02/24/2022 - 15:47

Thanks all! and yes @goldorion lets spam klemen 😃

Last seen on 10:42, 22. Mar 2022
Joined Feb 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
As a desktop wpf app…
Thu, 02/24/2022 - 15:52

As a desktop wpf app designer, I love it!

Last seen on 10:27, 10. Mar 2024
Joined Jun 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
This seems to me like…
Sat, 03/12/2022 - 16:25

This seems to me like switching from Windows 10 to 11 with the completely new UI XD. I love it, though. There should be a way to upvote this like plugins.

Joined May 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
thank you and- i did discuss…
Sun, 03/13/2022 - 23:59

thank you and- i did discuss implementing the UI with some of the major contributors- we are worried that such a drastic change would confuse users and this will likely take a very long time for mcreator's small community-based team

Last seen on 17:20, 17. Mar 2024
Joined Aug 2018
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
This looks beautiful. Hope…
Fri, 03/18/2022 - 20:49

This looks beautiful. Hope the concept doesn't go to waste, even if it won't be implemented in MCreator.

Last seen on 14:17, 8. Aug 2023
Joined Oct 2021
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Look Im off topic I know…
Sat, 03/19/2022 - 16:05

Look Im off topic I know that but can someone please help me with my AI problem in my topic ?