Are my goals with my mod possible within MCreator?

Started by Daralexen on

Topic category: Help with modding (Java Edition)

Last seen on 03:59, 17. Jul 2024
Joined Jan 2024
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Are my goals with my mod possible within MCreator?

Hello, I am new to modding as a whole, and I want to share my idea for a project that I have started to create. I want to "port" Ose Kurosawa from Project Zero: Maiden of The Black Water into Minecraft. I had the idea for this project after being immensely disappointed/annoyed by the influx of unoriginal Cave Dweller clones that are just simple reskins of Gargins mod with a new stick bug model and some new gimmicks. My idea was to have our ghost bride be different from the standard Cave Dweller clone and to be balanced for vanilla or vanilla+ survival while still providing the unsettling atmosphere of Project Zero. I can make fairly decent vanilla+ textures for mobs and items, but I have very little knowledge of how to code. So, I came here to ask if my ideas for bringing the Maiden of the Black Water into Minecraft are possible with the tools in MCcreator. Since I have heard that MCcreator has its limitations to what is possible within modding.

1. Can I give Ose the incorporeal properties of a Vex and the ability to teleport? She is a ghost after all, and she can teleport close to the player in her home game. 
  2. Is it possible for me to program other mobs such as Iron Golems, Zoglins, Johnny Vindicators, Untamed Axolotls, and Wardens to freeze or run away when she is present? My biggest gripe with Cave Dweller clones is that they have no AI for interacting with mobs, and that makes them more hilarious than scary. At the same time, I do not want Ose to simply kill them or cause them to despawn. My idea is that she rusts Iron Golems to temporarily disable them and that she causes Wild Axolotls to play dead until she despawns or is defeated. Zoglin and Johnny will simply run away from her.
  3. Is it possible for me to limit her spawning patterns to specific biomes ONLY in the Overworld after a certain number of in-game days? I plan for her to only be able to uncommonly spawn in Swamps, Mangroves, and Dripstone Caves, a new Mt. Hikami biome, and maybe a SUPER rare chance in Rivers, Beaches, and Deep Oceans at night after 20 in-game days. Since I do not want her to feel too intrusive or disruptive for general survival unlike Midnight Lurker or One Who Watches which can spawn everywhere at any time. The 20 days also give players time to get gear to survive or beat her.
  4. Can I give her a "no building up to cheese me" mechanic in which she summons 5 Drowend with Tridents to knock the player off their pillar, or one where she teleports to the player to push them off their pillar? Anti-pillaring mechanics are important to make a tough mob. However, I do not want it to feel too punishing or annoying like Man from The Fog's Infinite Lightning.
  5. Is it possible to make a config file? I have heard from many sources that MCcreator does not support config files, but I have seen mods such as John Reborn have a config, and it was made in MCcreator. I want to make the config contain the ability for players to customise her spawning frequency to their liking, the biomes that she can spawn in, and a "source material accurate" option that causes her to one-shot the player if she touches them just like how she does outside of her boss fight in her home game. The last option will be disabled by default.
  6. Is it possible for me to prevent her from spawning within a certain radius of the player's bed, or for her to despawn upon killing the player? This is to prevent her from spawn camping the player. Nobody likes horror mobs that spawn camp. They are not scary, just annoying.
  7. Is it possible for me to make her unable to enter boats or minecarts? 

I know that I have put myself quite heavy, but I am just very curious to know if my goals for this project are possible or not. I want to create a horror experience that relies more on environmental and ambiance horror as opposed to cheap jumpscares that will become annoying and disruptive to gameplay after the first two encounters with the mob. I am very excited to start work on this project!

Last seen on 20:37, 26. Jul 2024
Joined May 2022
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Yep, basically everything is…
Sun, 01/28/2024 - 17:51

Yep, basically everything is possible within MCreator! That isn't to say there's built in options for all of it, but there are various ways you can do this sort of thing.

1. You should (probably) be able to make the entity incorporeal- MCreator has a built in option to disable entity collisions, but to phase through blocks probably requires a custom override. (Which would mean you would have to lock the mob's code and add something to it manually.) I don't know what the specific override is, but if you know of another mod that does this, and you have access to their code, you should be able to find it pretty easily. As a workaround, you can set the entity to have zero width, (which would automatically disable block collisions), but this would likely not affect its pathfinding. (It would still behave as if blocks were solid, unless you gave it custom movement AI- which is also possible with MCreator, esp. for flying entities, though it requires some basic physics savy to use the 'override motion delta' function how you want it.)
  2. Yes, you can (sort of) program other mobs to have a reaction. Freezing is easy enough, you would just give everything a very high level of slowness with particles disabled, possible add frost damage to give a shivering/gradual damage effect. For fleeing, you can technically override an entity's pathfinding however you like, (actually coding this would be somewhat annoying), and again give invisible speed. 
  3. You can sort of limit spawning patterns, but you'd probably want to do it manually. (Instead of having the entity spawn normally, you would make a procedure run through the player, which has a small chance of spawning your entity whenever certain conditions are met. (Darkness, depth, biome, etc.) 
  4. Yes, you can sort of code in custom behaviors to your entity. (Though not sure why this would be an issue if it can fly/phase through walls?) You would probably want to use an NBT number tag as a timer, which increases whenever the entity is near the player horizontally, and decreases whenever they're further away. (So if the entity is near the player for long enough but unable to reach them, it triggers the ability.)
  5. You can code in your own config files, but MCreator does not have built in tools for them. I usually just use gamerules for stuff.
  6. Despawning upon killing a player is very easy, (in fact, it's more difficult to get entities to not despawn after killing a player.) Avoiding beds is harder, though you can get the player's spawn point and use 'override motion delta' functions to make them avoid a certain point. (Again, possible, but no built in tools so you have to design the function yourself.)
  7.  I actually made an anti-cheese mod that does this for all monsters. You would just check if the entity is riding a boat or minecart, and kill the boat or minecart if it is. (You can't actually disable it, but you can immedieately kill the minecart/boat.) 

Anyways, hope some of that's helpful. Good luck!