The function to add new crafting stations + recipes for them.

Started by ForumYoshi on

Topic category: Feature requests and ideas for MCreator

Last seen on 23:49, 20. Jun 2020
Joined Mar 2015
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
The function to add new crafting stations + recipes for them.

Hi.

One thing that seems to be missing from MCreator is custom crafting stations with their own recipes.

The idea should be sort of simple. The game already has crafting categories like "Crafting", "Smelting", "Blasting" etc. The idea is that you could add your own categories there and assign that category to a crafting station.

So, if I wanted to add a special blast furnace to the game that's used for a single purpose only, for example "smelting" iron into steel, you then could do that.

Currently, you don't seem to be able to add new recipe types, making this sort of stuff properly impossible.

This needs support for adding new crafting stations like workbenches and furnaces, the recipe type alone isn't enough.

Last seen on 03:10, 19. Feb 2022
Joined Jun 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
ohhh I get what you mean…
Tue, 06/09/2020 - 02:38

ohhh I get what you mean.

You mean defining custom JSON recipe factories?

Last seen on 03:10, 19. Feb 2022
Joined Jun 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
hmm, that's not a bad idea…
Tue, 06/09/2020 - 02:40

hmm, that's not a bad idea. But JSON recipes are still parsed by Minecraft as checking for the slots with the ingredients. So you can't just make your custom JSON sequence for it to work. So this would still require a lot of code but it would be changeable via datapacks... you could open a new issue tracker feature request tho https://mcreator.net/tracker

Joined Mar 2015
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
1. Mods don't function like…
Tue, 06/09/2020 - 02:45

1. Mods don't function like vanilla, well duh. Of course they don't but people like to make it similar like OG stuff so it fits in, and doesn't stand out as "Hi, I'm modified and stand out like a sore thumb."

2. I don't really care that it's more "powerful", I care about it the downsides of being more complicated, bad for new users, and still, not similar to vanilla Minecraft.

3. AFAIK it's not that difficult... Even if it was, doesn't mean that support for new stations shouldn't be added, they can be added without anims.

5. My suggestion implies, that support for this should be included, if that wasn't very obvious already. You know what I mean, so stop doing what you're doing.

Last seen on 19:21, 24. Apr 2024
Joined May 2019
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
1.it seems like your just…
Tue, 06/09/2020 - 14:55

1.it seems like your just messing around and not making use of Mcreator

2. This suggestion is totally demented, there is no such reason at all. The users of your mod wouldn't notice what method you use for your custom crafting, they only want good experience, Whats the point?

Joined Mar 2015
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
1. Nope. 2. There are many…
Wed, 06/10/2020 - 07:19

1. Nope.

2. There are many reasons to add this, like simplicity. And yeah, people would notice... You cannot replicate MC-style things perfectly at the moment.

If you have nothing else to do than try to bash a perfectly good idea, you can stop doing that. The argument "it's possible with procedures" doesn't outweigh all the positives my idea brings.

I'm going to simply ignore you from now on, so bye.

Last seen on 22:41, 29. Dec 2021
Joined Mar 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
https://mcreator.net/forum…
Wed, 06/10/2020 - 21:22

https://mcreator.net/forum/62385/1152-jei-api-integration-custom-crafting

Also, Klemen has said that he cannot add custom recipe types (he said that he would have to rewrite the .json system). 

(by that I mean not using procedures, and using the Recipe element type)

Last seen on 21:24, 26. Dec 2022
Joined Dec 2017
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
So, why can't you just use…
Thu, 07/16/2020 - 11:01

So, why can't you just use the vanilla crafting table and blast furnace instead of making your own.. I personally wouldn't use a mod that needs a special new blast furnace to use the items when the vanilla blast furnace just sits there..

My suggestion would be to just use vanilla crafting and furnace usage (you can even pick which furnace items cook in).

And like Crispy Chips and others have said, you can do all of what you want with procedures, who cares what it looks like and how it works behind the scenes, as long as it works right for the user, all that matters.

Or just learn how to use Mcreator better..

Last seen on 22:41, 29. Dec 2021
Joined Mar 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Uh....... You can already…
Thu, 07/16/2020 - 12:16

Uh.......

You can already make recipes for vanilla blocks. 

Last seen on 13:16, 28. Aug 2021
Joined Oct 2015
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I don't understand this kids…
Thu, 07/16/2020 - 12:33

I don't understand this kids logic. He explicitly says that MCreator procedures "check for an items existence in a pattern." and then links source code for a regular JSON crafting recipe, but a JSON crafting recipe LITERALLY checks for the existence of items. You can already do this with procedures, and adding this feature would really just be a waste of the developers time, when they COULD be working on actual GOOD updates, like player variables and FE. If you don't like using procedures for recipes, then I don't know what to tell you.

Last seen on 22:42, 26. Dec 2020
Joined Dec 2020
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
Dear lord, reading through…
Sat, 12/26/2020 - 22:42

Dear lord, reading through this was so frustrating that I made an account just to reply.  I'm having the same problem and these people were NOT helpful at all.

To others, think about it like this.  As it currently stands, you can't create a recipe using the existing recipe interface that has its own recipe type.  The solution he's looking for is to create a system that would, reasonably, have a station with a custom interface, which can read JSON files (which anybody else can also make!  That's important!) without exposing those recipes to existing stations.  In his example, suggests creating alloys by combining materials (iron + coal = steel).  Say I want to build off of his mod, but by using my own custom materials.  Let's say the JSON for my recipe looks like this:

{
  "type": "theirMod:alloying",
  "ingredient": {
    "base": "myMod:copper_ore",
    "constituent": "myMod:tin_ore"
    },
  "result": "myMod:bronze_ingot",
  "experience": 1.0,
  "mixTime": 100,
  "coolTime": 500
}

There's no way to create a recipe like that for a custom station using the recipe tool that already exists in MCreator.  Obviously the custom station would use its own procedures that he'd still have to write, but his problem is that there's a gap in functionality between creating a custom station and using the (already intuitive) recipe tool to create recipes for the custom station.  What if I wanted to create a custom centrifuge station with its own crafting template, or a fruit juicer, or a seed breeding station?  Saying that it's "technically" possible using a convoluted method (which is more complex and less functional than writing actual code, btw) is infuriating.  But hey, use a string of IF statements for each recipe if that floats your boat.  I feel your pain, OP.

Last seen on 17:59, 17. Mar 2023
Joined Feb 2023
User statistics:

• Modifications:
  • Forum topics:
  • Wiki pages:
  • MCreator plugins:
  • Comments:
I think I understand what…
Sat, 02/11/2023 - 08:53

I think I understand what you mean. When using procedures they just set and remove item to and from slots. What you are talking abut is something that actually registers as a recipe and can be shown in like jei. Was this correct?