MCreator Minecraft Mod Maker is an excellent tool to engage the interest in programming and computers in children and teenagers. With MCreator, they can learn basic concepts of programming in both visual in the actual coding way. MCreator is good for this purpose as it provides immediate results and provides limitless options and makes learning fun and interesting thing while maintaining its main purpose; to educate.
Some of the options on what to do with MCreator are:
- Making mods with MCreator using its wizards based on the instructor's directions and then workshop participants make their own mods based on the provided knowledge,
- Making advanced mods with procedures using Scratch-like interface (this also means learning Boolean logic and basic concepts in programming) and analyzing the produced code,
- Connecting Arduino and Raspberry Pi projects with Minecraft world using MCreator,
- Making advanced mods and addons while combining them with custom code (good for students with existing programming knowledge, this provides an interesting way for them to see their skills in action).
When making a workshop using MCreator, the general advice is to first demonstrate the crucial features of MCreator to all the students and then let them explore the interface and get creative with it on a per-individual basis.
We have collected some useful playlists of tutorial videos that can help you get ideas for the tasks on the workshops:
- Basic MCreator tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAeL-oIFIEng_cJYH22jCHt2w26-Y-3hV
- General MCreator tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAeL-oIFIEngE6jRgFYeFMfuj8WQsO3Ei
- Intermediate MCreator tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAeL-oIFIEni-O5D8ooqR-tBQgEn-Qi8L
- Tutorials focused on the procedures (graphical programming, Scratch-like interface): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAeL-oIFIEngf6S4p5X5CBd4GyWLUVaHA
- MCreator tips and tricks: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAeL-oIFIEnir9JwKRerYPi4UjQSJSYMS
Another good way to start a workshop is to give out worksheets with basic tasks that help students familiarize themselves with the interface of MCreator and then encourage them to explore it further and get their own creative ideas for the mods they make.
We prepared some worksheets too, and plan to update this list with more of them in the future.
Making a block and ore pack
This is a basic course made out of 5 worksheets providing a basic insight into the process of making a mod, adding new blocks to the Minecraft game, and testing all this out. It is suited for the students of all ages as it has a very basic, yet important set of tasks and skills learned through the course.
- 1.1 Making a block - Making a new project
- 1.2 Making a block - Drawing a texture
- 1.3 Making a block - Making a block
- 1.4 Making a block - Testing a block
- 1.5 Making a block - Making a material pack
We do plan on updating this list with more worksheets in the future. If you have a course and have worksheets and are ready to share them here, you are very welcome, just contact us.