Help + Tips for biome weight; biome weight explained!

Started by Inf3rnado on Wed, 08/30/2017 - 08:05

Topic category: User side tutorials

Last seen on 09:54, 10. Jul 2019
Joined Aug 2017
User points:

Statistics:

• Comments:
  • Forum topics:
  • Modifications:
  • Wiki pages:
Help + Tips for biome weight; biome weight explained!
Wed, 08/30/2017 - 08:05

First of all, a lot of you may think that setting biome weight to 1024 (the maximum possible) will set it to cover the whole world. Nope. Not correct.

Suprisingly, it actually works with the temperature of a biome to decide how rare it is. This may get quite complicated, but i'll try to explain it as simply as possible.

To begin with, you know how biomes are coded to spawn near other biomes of the same temperature? (like desers + savanna + jungle all spawning close to each other, same goes for forests and icy biomes etc.) So "warm" biomes will spawn near other "warm" biomes. This is actually how biome weight works. Also, note how when you add a mod that adds overworld biomes, all the seeds seem to change; biomes will switch places, etc. However, (i'm not 100% sure, but), we have reason to believe that the temperature zones stay the same. Here is my reasoning behind this:

So I created a biome called "IceFlats" and obviously I set it to "icy" temperature type. I set biome weight to 1024. I loaded up a random seed. I couldn't see it. This is because I spawned in a plains biome, a "warm" biome. Therefore there is a high chance I wouldn't be able to find it nearby. I then loaded up a seed which spawns you next to a huge range of ice biomes (cold taiga, ice plains, ice mountains, ice plains spikes etc) and guess what? All of these biomes were gone, only my "IceFlats" biome was there. That is why I think that the temperature zones stay the same. Likewise, if I were to create a "desert" temperature biome, and set biome weight to 1024, all other biomes with the "desert" temperature will not spawn. So if you set it to 512, around half of the other biomes will spawn, and the other half would be the created biome.Obviously setting it to 0 would make it not spawn whatsoever (useful for dimensions).

Confused? Setting biome weight to the max will cover all biomes the same temperature as the one you created. Setting it to 1 would make a tiny amount (1/1024 I think) of all biomes with the same temperature as the custom one, your custom biome. This gives you an idea on the rarity.

A full biome temperature list is https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Biome so you can see what biomes you might replace which have the same temperature as your custom biome.

I hope this helped you to understand how biome weight works and what it means! :)

Last seen on 10:50, 17. Oct 2019
Joined Jun 2016
User points:

Statistics:

• Comments:
  • Forum topics:
  • Modifications:
  • Wiki pages:
Thanks for the explanation!
Wed, 08/30/2017 - 18:36

Thanks for the explanation! :D

Last seen on 10:50, 17. Oct 2019
Joined Jun 2016
User points:

Statistics:

• Comments:
  • Forum topics:
  • Modifications:
  • Wiki pages:
Now I know where to find my
Wed, 08/30/2017 - 18:37

Now I know where to find my biomes!

Last seen on 07:39, 17. Oct 2019
Joined Mar 2016
User points:

Statistics:

• Comments:
  • Forum topics:
  • Modifications:
  • Wiki pages:
i dont get it
Thu, 08/31/2017 - 03:41

i dont get it

Last seen on 10:50, 17. Oct 2019
Joined Jun 2016
User points:

Statistics:

• Comments:
  • Forum topics:
  • Modifications:
  • Wiki pages:
RE:i dont get it
Thu, 08/31/2017 - 07:42

All the biomes with the same temperature spawn in the same place, so if you have made a new hot biome you need to find it near to other hot biomes, like the desert

Last seen on 07:39, 17. Oct 2019
Joined Mar 2016
User points:

Statistics:

• Comments:
  • Forum topics:
  • Modifications:
  • Wiki pages:
still dont get
Sun, 09/03/2017 - 22:32

still dont get

Last seen on 19:16, 9. Oct 2019
Joined Dec 2018
User points:

Statistics:

• Comments:
  • Forum topics:
  • Modifications:
  • Wiki pages:
if you have a desert for…
Sun, 02/03/2019 - 15:10

if you have a desert for example, hot biomes will spawn near it like jungles and savannas.

Last seen on 21:37, 16. Oct 2019
Joined Sep 2018
User points:

Statistics:

• Comments:
  • Forum topics:
  • Modifications:
  • Wiki pages:
Nice! Thanks for the info!
Fri, 07/12/2019 - 06:15

Nice! Thanks for the info!

Last seen on 11:27, 17. Oct 2019
Joined Aug 2016
User points:

Statistics:

• Comments:
  • Forum topics:
  • Modifications:
  • Wiki pages:
Very good explanation !…
Fri, 07/12/2019 - 18:51

Very good explanation ! Thanks you for informations that I didn't know.

Last seen on 21:37, 16. Oct 2019
Joined Sep 2018
User points:

Statistics:

• Comments:
  • Forum topics:
  • Modifications:
  • Wiki pages:
However, I've made 4 biomes…
Sat, 07/13/2019 - 00:24

However, I've made 4 biomes with the following "weights": 1000, 11, 11, 2

Only 3 of those spawn (the 1st one, the 2ond one and the 4th one) and the 4th one (which has to be the rarest of all) can be found everywhere.

I've also set all biomes to "cool" temperature. Can someone help?