Mojang finally added smithing, but I made this mod before then, and still think my version is better, so here we are.
Smithing Templates can be found scattered throughout the world in naturally generated structures, as per Mojang's wishes. However, instead of meager cosmetic modifications, different templates can be used in combination with different ingredients to make both cosmetic and gameplay Modifications to tools, weapons, and armor. There are 14 different templates total, (more with dyed variants), each with a unique appearance, abilities, and specialties, ranging from improved stats to death-defiance, item cycling, and more. Templates are no longer renewable- original templates found in structures have a limited number of uses; and copied templates made from originals only get a single use. Monopolize rare templates and annoy your friends, or forget about exploring and buy more common templates from traders and villagers.
Modifications for your tools are compatible with Enchantments- and on the subject of enchantments, you can now make use of three new enchantments I also took it upon myself to add. (Curse of Severing, Lunar Effigy, and Life Sink)
In the latest version of the mod, Mob Loot has been overhauled as well. Depending on the difficulty, mobs will spawn with various armor and equipment with different enchantments and/or modifications based on the enemy. (Humanoids such as zombies, skeletons, piglins, etc.) In general, enemies are also far more likely to drop items they're wielding or wearing. (Albe them heavily damaged).
…Also, as I was designing and testing the over 900 unique items you can make with this, (most of them dyed variants of leather-bound items), I happened to notice that the crafting table, (Unlike, say, every other crafting station in the game), has no sound effects. So I added those too.
I won't go over specifics here, but if you're interested in the ambient benefits of different modifications, functions of different enchantments, and pain I went through to make unique items for every single variation of dye, check out the Curseforge or Planet MC pages for more details!
- Added Shelled, Charged, and Mystic Armor
- Added Ethereal Equipment; an upgrade to Netherite with some unusual properties.
- Added new smithing interface.
- Added Smithing Templates for all modifications, with original and copied variants.
- Various QOL changes and bugfixes.
- Added smithing functionality to gold, iron, copper, diamonds, and netherite scrap; and corresponding variants to all vanilla armor, tools, and weapons.
- Overhauled Grindstone GUI to accommodate modified items.
- Added distinct sound effects for crafting different items.
- Added four new enchantments.
- Tweaked villager trades and vanilla loot tables to include modded items.
- Added 'Echoing' Armor and Weapons, made using Echo Shards; retained upon death.
- Removed 'Curse of Memory' from survival. It was cute, but kind of buggy, and Echo Shards make more sense, don't you think?
- Completely overhauled the Mob Loot system, with only one minor major technical issue that probably isn't a problem.
- Fixed bug with Gilded Chainmail Leggings.
- Added crafting sound effects for dyed and glass based items.
- Replaced Smithing Interface with my own to facilitate updating to 1.20.
- Added recipe book to Smithing Interface.
- Added Phased Equipment; in equal parts incredibly speedy and flimsy.
- Added Conched Equipment; for all ye scurvy dogs.
- Redid every single Dyed and Forged armor texture for no apparent reason.
- Updated mod to version 1.19.4
- Nerfed Life Sink enchantment to draw more EXP and require EXP to function.
- Fixed minor bug where clicking on a hopper crashed the game.